Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Group and Health Track > Group & Health Advanced Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Group & Health Advanced Exam Old Group and Health Company/Sponsor Perspective Forum

Old 01-16-2018, 04:58 PM
SOA

Have used MATE for all of my passes (CORE and SPEC), so I'll be doing the same this time. Every time I deviated (TIA, Condie) it didn't go well. Not gonna mess with what works.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:30 PM
SOA AAA

Question for those retaking this exam--If one gets to where they feel confident with all the types of calculation questions and memorizes 90% of the notecards/lists is that enough to pass this exam?
Old 01-18-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuaryJag View Post
Question for those retaking this exam--If one gets to where they feel confident with all the types of calculation questions and memorizes 90% of the notecards/lists is that enough to pass this exam?
And have solid test taking skills, and the questions ring the right bells in your head so you know which notecard to rattleoff, and you pick up the key words and little tricks the SOA throw in, and etc...See Pharr's Rule

It's obviously doable, but there are a lot of variables.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:20 PM
SOA

College: Temple University

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie24 View Post
I was planning on doing the same. What was wrong with the approach if you don't mind sharing?
I used TIA only for Core, and passed (barely) with a 6. I decided to use TIA+MATE for Advanced, but did not make sufficient time to study or take practice exams. So I guess it has nothing to do with the material, but rather my use of it...
Old 01-29-2018, 09:23 AM
SOA

College: Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottKelly View Post
Iím going to come here and reread my above post every time I think Iíve studied enough and itís time for bed this sitting, I refuse to not know what Pharrís rule is this time.
This will be second sitting for me. What the hell is Pharr's rule?
Old 01-29-2018, 05:04 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinchhw View Post
This will be second sitting for me. What the hell is Pharr's rule?
Pharr's rule should be redefined as the rule that SOA will include at least one question on a topic that gets fewer than 2 sentences devoted to it in the source material, ideally the topic should be a footnote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:59 AM

There was plenty of info on the topic in the source material, just can't remember if they specifically called it Pharr's rule anywhere. I read the source material, had the note card on the topic memorized, would never attach his name to it though.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:07 PM
SOA

After looking at the solutions to fall 17-Initially i feel like there is little hope i can pass this exam. I totally missed the boat on a lot of things. Felt like the effort I put behind getting ready was decent though.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:31 PM
SOA

Can someone tell me the sources of the following Study notes (author, website, book, magazine, pages):
- GHA 119-18
- GHA 120-18
- GHA 121-18

I am retaking the exam and I would prefer not to buy the study notes for only 3 study notes. If someone could send them to me, that would be great too!
Old 03-13-2018, 06:59 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluga View Post
Can someone tell me the sources of the following Study notes (author, website, book, magazine, pages):
- GHA 119-18
- GHA 120-18
- GHA 121-18

I am retaking the exam and I would prefer not to buy the study notes for only 3 study notes. If someone could send them to me, that would be great too!
I teach Core and Specialty, so I don't know the full details of the study notes you mentioned above, but I did want to mention that if you have the old study notes, you can simply buy the Revisions from the SOA site for $40 (in the same place that you buy the Original study notes). I can understand still not wanting to buy those, but I wanted to make sure people were aware of that option.

Per the SOA site for GH Advanced:
Quote:
If you have the Spring/Fall 2017 complete study notes you would need to order these revisions.