Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MAS-II
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 11-04-2019, 03:42 PM
CAS

College: Georgia State University, Alumni
Default Best Options For Study Material

Based on the PAK I know that I almost certainly passed MAS-1, so I want to begin preparing for II before the start of December.

Looking around online, it seems that options for study material is significantly smaller for this exam compared to the prior. I used Mahler almost exclusively for MAS-I and it carried my to a pass, but sadly he hasn't written a manual for MAS-II.

For people who have passed this exam: What do you recommend using? The only options I'm seeing online are ACTEX and TIA.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:20 AM
CAS

Congrats on passing MAS-I!

ACTEX isn't great. There are a lot of errors in the sample problems and the sample problems in my opinion were too easy compared with the actual exam problems. I'd suggest sticking with the source material over ACTEX. I didn't use TIA so I can't comment on that, but I contacted Coaching Actuaries a few months ago and they said they plan on having ADAPT for MAS-II in time for the spring sitting as well.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:11 PM
CAS

I read and took notes on all the source texts and also subscribed to TIA for the videos, sample exams, formula sheets, and practice problems and it looks like I passed on my first sitting, assuming they don't throw out too many of the questions I got right on the preliminary key. It was enough material for the current difficulty level of the exam, and I know Dave is planning to add more problems for the Spring sitting. For the 2020 Spring sitting, 3 official exams will be available to use for practice, as well as 2 in TIA.

Good luck.