Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Statistics for Risk Modeling
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-14-2019, 05:06 PM
SOA

Default SRM: CA vs TIA

Hey all!
Now that CA and TIA have both released some SRM study courses...any thoughts on how these are developing? And stacking up against each other? Want to be efficient as possible in my studies and trying to decide which resource to go with for the Jan. 2020 sitting.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:03 PM
CAS

Same, I like videos better but haven't found anyone discussing CA. I have read some good things about ISLR textbook but still deciding whether I should get CA or stick with ISLR or ASM manual.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:20 AM
SOA

College: 4th Year

Sorry this is a very late reply! I took (and passed) the September sitting of SRM. I used TIA as my main source of studying and I thought it was very good. As I'm sure you've heard the computational questions aren't very difficult, but where they try to get you is on the "nitty gritty" qualitative questions. Most of these "nitty gritty" type questions had to do with trees, PCA, clustering, and GLM as a whole. I think TIA did quite a good job of preparing a lot of practice questions and sample exam questions that really made you think which was representative of the real exam. In saying that, I also used the ISLR as it's free and I thought this was an excellent secondary resource as well.