Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MAS-I
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

MAS-I Old Exam S Forum

Old 12-03-2019, 07:26 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstokiwartoothtoyou View Post
Does anybody else have the fear that they may have circled the correct answer on the test booklet but marked the wrong answer on the scantron, or is that just an irrational fear of mine?
but wait........there's more:

1. you could have filled the bubble in the previous question that you skipped instead.
2. for those times that you caught yourself and had to erase, you didn't erase enough and confused the grading machine.
3. now think about those times you didn't catch yourself.

....now try and go to sleep for the next 13 remaining days or so.

Last edited by somewhere; 12-05-2019 at 12:59 PM..
Old 12-03-2019, 10:32 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhere View Post
but wait........there's more:

1. you could have filled the bubble in the previous question that you skipped instead.
2. for those times that you could yourself and you had to erase, you didn't erase enough and confused the grading machine.
3. now think about those times you didn't catch yourself.

....now try and go to sleep for the next 13 remaining days or so.
I had a feeling I wasn't the only one.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:55 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 5

Quote:
Does anybody else have the fear that they may have circled the correct answer on the test booklet but marked the wrong answer on the scantron, or is that just an irrational fear of mine?
This is why I go through it at least 3 times before I turn in my exam, and copy my answers into both of my calculators from the scantron and not the booklet, to give me the most comfort that everything is good to go.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:07 PM
CAS

I'm just waiting on a prayer now. There were three questions I was certain I got correct. Saw the answer key the next day, couldn't believe I got them wrong. Turns out all three of them were basic calculator entry mistakes (even though I checked them on the day as well).

I am now at a 52. It sucks to be at a score because of basic mistakes like that, would have been at a comfortable 54.5 if I had got just one of them correct, and 59.5 with all 3 of them.

Here's to hoping the pass mark is 52 or below.

Last edited by staypositive; 12-04-2019 at 04:14 PM..
Old 12-04-2019, 04:09 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 5
College: NYU
Favorite beer: Lagunitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by staypositive View Post
I'm just waiting on a prayer now. There were three questions I was certain I got correct. Saw the answer key the next day, couldn't believe I got them wrong. turns out all three of them were basic calculator entry mistakes (even though I checked them on the day as well).

I am now at a 52. It sucks to be at a score because of basic mistakes like that, would have been at a comfortable 54.5 if I had got just one of them correct, and 59.5 with all 3 of them.

Here's to hoping the pass mark is 52 or below.
Been there, done that. Best of luck!
Old 12-09-2019, 03:10 PM
CAS

College: University of Florida Alumni
Favorite beer: Guinness

Just saw the final answer key which accepted the 2 extra answers that I put bringing me up to a 59 which should be sufficient wiggle room for a pass (maybe even a 7).

Feels a lot better to not be sitting on a borderline 54 and praying they dont raise pass mark and that I copied all my answers correct haha.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:24 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 2/FM
College: M.A. Mathematics
Favorite beer: Stout/ Porter

Quote:
I had a feeling I wasn't the only one.
FYI, On my first sitting of MAS-1 I filled in the scantron wrong for one question. Instead of a 54.5, this put me at a 52 = EPIC FAIL!!!

Needless to say, I was furious!

Funny thing is, I got a 54.5 on my second attempt too. Fortunately, it was enough to pass since I didn't make another idiotic mistake.

Related: I emailed the CAS to confirm my scantron was graded correctly... to my dismay, they said it was. Just something to consider if you think something was done incorrectly.