Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 1/P - Probability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 02-12-2018, 11:12 AM
Non-Actuary

Default Actex Sufficient?

Hello, I am beginning study for Exam P. Is the Actex Study Manual and Practice Exams sufficient material to pass the exam, or are supplementary materials like ADAPT necessary?
Old 02-13-2018, 01:05 AM
SOA

College: SFU

I used both Actex and ADAPT for my studying. ADAPT is super helpful two weeks to a month before your exam where you can just constantly grind problems and it tells you where your weak points are so you can brush up those sections as well. I would say get yourself to at least a 5 or a 6 and you should be golden for the exam.

VEE: Statistics, Economics, Corporate Finance
Old 02-15-2018, 12:03 AM
SOA

College: University of Waterloo Alumni

You can definitely pass with just ACTEX alone, along with other free practice questions available online.
--
Fellowship Exams
Exam Analysis Cheat Sheet - The #1 way to set your studying priorities (Shows you which readings are historically tested most often)
Old 02-15-2018, 12:30 AM
CAS

yes
Old 02-16-2018, 03:32 PM
CAS SOA

College: Faculty of Sciences UNAM

I don't mean to brag, but I scored a 10 on Exam P solely using Actex, SoA 240 and remembering what I learned in my probability courses from university.

So yes, it's enough. To increase your chances, review those as many times as you can.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:12 PM
SOA

I also used Actex as my main study resource with I think only 154 SOA problems available at the time and scored a 10 on my first attempt. I supplemented this with a textbook from college to understand the theory better since many important concepts are not justified in the manual. In other words, the Actex manual has concise coverage of everything you need, but often lacks the underlying story that would convince you why everything works the way it does. There were some theoretical inaccuracies in the version I have (I don't know if fixed in later versions), but these were rare and unlikely to cause incorrect answers on the exam.

One of the main weaknesses of Actex is that, at least for the version I used, a large portion of the problems at the end of sections were word-for-word SOA sample problems so this made the SOA problems less useful after using the manual. They do have many original problems and a generous number of practice exams at the end of the manual as well though. The problems in the practice exams tend to be more detailed than actual exam problems so I think your speed doing those will be a poor indication of your speed on the exam. I remember I was taking about 2.5 hours on the Actex practice exams and passed the real exam in approximately 1.5 hours.

Overall I would recommend this manual as a solid resource and definitely consider it sufficient coupled with the SOA sample problems to pass the exam.

As an aside, I will be releasing a video course very soon teaching this material (anticipated to be available on or before April 1). The lessons have a focus on building intuition and making students comfortable with the "why" of everything. It also contains many original practice problems and video solutions. If you prefer videos (or want to supplement your manual with them) and want to really "get it" so you feel confident in your command of probability theory, this could be a great option for you.

Good luck with your studies aspringactuaryvp!
Old 02-18-2018, 05:38 PM
CAS

Don't mean to brag, but I didn't know there was such thing as study manuals when I scored a 10 on exam 1 (before it was called P, I think).

So, yes, any study manual is sufficient but not necessary.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:50 PM
SOA

Exam P is so basic that any study manual is sufficient.

I used Finan and passed easily.