Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 2/FM - Financial Mathematics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-01-2018, 02:25 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for IFM
College: UConn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeff View Post
Sorry for not getting back to you before your exam hopefully all went well. But I didn't use TIA, I only used ADAPT and I would say around 5-6 was the true level of the exam. Hopefully your nervousness was for naught and you passed.
Thats okay, I passed!(: I too thought it was a level 5-6 with like 5-6 questions on a 6+ level which frightened me a bit but I pulled through somehow haha. Now onto job hunting... anyone else on the same boat?! I have FM and P under my belt now, and am trying to fix my resume up to start applying to jobs so couple questions:

1) what positions can I apply for now that I have these two exams?
2) what websites have you guys found that work best when applying for actuarial positions?
3) So will exam C (if taken and passed before july 2018) count for both SOA and CAS ? what about IFM? is that just CAS or SOA or both? Sorry, I'm just so overwhelmed by the changes, I have no clue what will still count and by when I have to pass etc my head is literally about to explode

thanks so much in advance!
Old 03-02-2018, 08:11 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for IFM
College: Ohio State Alumni
Favorite beer: Root

Quote:
Originally Posted by jola.duro@uconn.edu View Post
Thats okay, I passed!(: ....

1) what positions can I apply for now that I have these two exams?
2) what websites have you guys found that work best when applying for actuarial positions?
3) So will exam C (if taken and passed before july 2018) count for both SOA and CAS ? what about IFM? is that just CAS or SOA or both? Sorry, I'm just so overwhelmed by the changes, I have no clue what will still count and by when I have to pass etc my head is literally about to explode

thanks so much in advance!
Congrats on passing!!

For job hunting, I would look for Actuarial Analyst positions on any job board you can find (Indeed, Glassdoor, Zip Recruiter, LinkenIn etc). You can also just search Actuary or Actuarial and check the requirements of the position. Most will list how many exams and how much experience they prefer. You can also check on the job postings on the forums here. Positions like financial analyst, business analyst, pricing analyst, risk analyst etc could help get your foot in the door somewhere and reflect as positive work experience later on. But a lot of actuarial specific positions will have a built in study program for future exams, so in my experience that's your best bet.

As far as the transition goes, if you pass Exam C in the June testing window it will count for either SOA or Exam 4 on the CAS path. If you pass MFE (prior to 7/1/18) or IFM (after 7/1/18) it will count for SOA or Exam 3F on the CAS path.

Something else to look into is, if you are looking to go the SOA route, try and make sure you have your VEE for Applied Statistics prior to 7/1/18. You only need to have earned the credit, not necessarily applied for credit by this date. If you do have the credit for Applied Stats prior to 7/1/18 you will earn credit for the new SRM Exam and the new VEE Mathematical Statistics after the transition. This is only on the SOA side, so if you are looking to go the CAS route, obviously ignore it because the SRM Exam is not on the CAS path and Applied/Mathematical Stats is not a required VEE.

https://store.soa.org/VEESchoolSearc...EE=displayonly You can check this site out to see if any of your classes in college will count towards the VEE credit. If not I would highly recommend Coaching Actuaries. They have a self paced online "class" where you can earn the credit.

http://www.casact.org/admissions/syl...grades#waivers If you scroll near the bottom of this site it shows you the credits SOA exams earn on the CAS side.

https://www.soa.org/Education/Genera...m-changes.aspx This site should give you some good information on the SOA transition and the new Exams and VEE requirements.

P FM IFM SRM LTAM STAM PA
VEE: Econ Finance Stats
Old 03-05-2018, 12:42 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for IFM

Quote:
Congrats on passing!!

For job hunting, I would look for Actuarial Analyst positions on any job board you can find (Indeed, Glassdoor, Zip Recruiter, LinkenIn etc). You can also just search Actuary or Actuarial and check the requirements of the position. Most will list how many exams and how much experience they prefer. You can also check on the job postings on the forums here. Positions like financial analyst, business analyst, pricing analyst, risk analyst etc could help get your foot in the door somewhere and reflect as positive work experience later on. But a lot of actuarial specific positions will have a built in study program for future exams, so in my experience that's your best bet.

As far as the transition goes, if you pass Exam C in the June testing window it will count for either SOA or Exam 4 on the CAS path. If you pass MFE (prior to 7/1/18) or IFM (after 7/1/18) it will count for SOA or Exam 3F on the CAS path.

Something else to look into is, if you are looking to go the SOA route, try and make sure you have your VEE for Applied Statistics prior to 7/1/18. You only need to have earned the credit, not necessarily applied for credit by this date. If you do have the credit for Applied Stats prior to 7/1/18 you will earn credit for the new SRM Exam and the new VEE Mathematical Statistics after the transition. This is only on the SOA side, so if you are looking to go the CAS route, obviously ignore it because the SRM Exam is not on the CAS path and Applied/Mathematical Stats is not a required VEE.

https://store.soa.org/VEESchoolSearc...EE=displayonly You can check this site out to see if any of your classes in college will count towards the VEE credit. If not I would highly recommend Coaching Actuaries. They have a self paced online "class" where you can earn the credit.

http://www.casact.org/admissions/syl...grades#waivers If you scroll near the bottom of this site it shows you the credits SOA exams earn on the CAS side.

https://www.soa.org/Education/Genera...m-changes.aspx This site should give you some good information on the SOA transition and the new Exams and VEE requirements.
Wow! First I want to thank you not only for responding but for giving such a detailed response, I appreciate it to no end!(: I didn't check right away, bc usually when I post something ppl barely reply or take days to do so, so I apologize for just seeing this now, but thank you!

Now, I have very few more questions and I apologize in advance if they're self explanatory or dumb please bare with me /:

I don't have any professional experience (had family and financial issues during college so I unfortunately didn't do any internships while getting my math and stats degree) just jobs that taught me valuable interpersonal skills such as good communication, great team player etc... how much do you think this will hurt with my job hunt even though I have two exams done? /: and how can I help my situation at all ):

Oh alright, so if I pass IFM after July of 2018 it'll count for 3F on the CAS path, got it(: I think that's what I'm going to shoot for

wow so I won't have to take the SRM exam if I have my VEE for Applied Statistics before July of 2018? Is the SRM not like the other exams, aka fairly easy in comparison and that's why they're doing this? Has anyone taken the SRM, if so how hard is it? [as I type this paragraph I can feel so many eyerolls and I don't blame anyone who rolls their eyes at my questions --I totally deserve them!] it just sounds too good to be true. Not saying I don't believe that that is the case, just wondering if there's a catch or something

the first url didn't work for me :/ perhaps you were logged in with your info but my FM grade hasn't come up yet bc I just passed it so it isn't allowing me to see anything about VEE credits etc :/ maybe you can take a screenshot of it?

Thank you so much in advance!
Old 03-05-2018, 08:18 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for IFM

Quote:
I don't have any professional experience (had family and financial issues during college so I unfortunately didn't do any internships while getting my math and stats degree) just jobs that taught me valuable interpersonal skills such as good communication, great team player etc... how much do you think this will hurt with my job hunt even though I have two exams done? /: and how can I help my situation at all ):
I had much of the same. I started as a pharmacy major and switched to Actuarial Science my sophomore year. This lead me to be behind in my major courses and when it came time to search for internships I couldn't get one. Now the lack of experience is a hurdle, but passing 2 exams definitely helps. And the fact that you just recently passed one shows that you are currently working towards a designation. That is also a plus. Make sure this is something prominent on your resume and it should help. Now my next piece of advice is not earth shattering and you may have already done it. Have someone who knows what they are doing take a look at your resume and cover letter and see how you can spruce it up a bit. I am no wordsmith so when I had someone take a look at mine they were able to recommend some formatting changes to my resume and some restructuring of my cover letter to make it more professional and it really got my accomplishments across to help counter my lack of experience in the field.

Quote:
wow so I won't have to take the SRM exam if I have my VEE for Applied Statistics before July of 2018? Is the SRM not like the other exams, aka fairly easy in comparison and that's why they're doing this? Has anyone taken the SRM, if so how hard is it? ... it just sounds too good to be true. Not saying I don't believe that that is the case, just wondering if there's a catch or something
The SRM will be new as of July 1, 2018 so it hasn't been offered yet. A lot of its material comes from the Applied Stats Vee, that's why there is the transition credit. If you have earned credit for the material they don't want to retest you on it. In general, the exams are much more complex/difficult than the VEE's. So even though the material may be very similar, the exam is probably much more in depth. The only "catch" I would say is that on the SOA route there is also another new exam starting 7/1/18. It is Exam PA (Predictive Analytics). This is straight from the SOA site "The PA exam is administered as a five-hour project requiring analysis of a data set in the context of a business problem and submission of a report ... Credit for Exam SRM is required for Exam PA registration. Candidates who have received transition credit for Exam SRM will be eligible to take Exam PA but should note that knowledge of the Exam SRM syllabus will be assumed. So essentially they are building upon the material in the SRM exam, and if you aren't familiar enough with it, it could hinder you on the PA exam.

Quote:
the first url didn't work for me :/ perhaps you were logged in with your info but my FM grade hasn't come up yet bc I just passed it so it isn't allowing me to see anything about VEE credits etc :/ maybe you can take a screenshot of it?
Here is a new link that should hopefully work, if not I've listed the steps to get to it. If the link works just jump to step 5.
https://store.soa.org/Default.aspx?T...735.1510934397
Step 1) Go to soa.org. Step 2) At the top is a menu bar, hover the mouse over Education & Exams. Click on VEE: Validation by Educational Experience. Step 3) Click on VEE Directory of Approved Courses and Alternate Options Step 4) Click on Search Directory Step 5) Select the state your university is in and select search. This will load a list of all the universities in the state. Select your university. This will load a list of all the classes offered that would count as either partial of full credit for any of the VEE courses.

If it turns out that your college courses do work for VEE credit you will need to apply for the credit to count, it isn't automatically counted. But if you have already earned it there is no time frame to apply for credit to count. I haven't done it yet so I don't know the process but it should be listed out on the site.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:44 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for IFM

Quote:

Here is a new link that should hopefully work, if not I've listed the steps to get to it. If the link works just jump to step 5.
https://store.soa.org/Default.aspx?T...735.1510934397
Step 1) Go to soa.org. Step 2) At the top is a menu bar, hover the mouse over Education & Exams. Click on VEE: Validation by Educational Experience. Step 3) Click on VEE Directory of Approved Courses and Alternate Options Step 4) Click on Search Directory Step 5) Select the state your university is in and select search. This will load a list of all the universities in the state. Select your university. This will load a list of all the classes offered that would count as either partial of full credit for any of the VEE courses.

If it turns out that your college courses do work for VEE credit you will need to apply for the credit to count, it isn't automatically counted. But if you have already earned it there is no time frame to apply for credit to count. I haven't done it yet so I don't know the process but it should be listed out on the site.
Thank you soooo much, truly. Your help is so appreciated(: I took my Economics classes in a community college that isn't on the list I got once I followed your steps, but I transferred them to UConn (University of Connecticut) which IS on the list. Does that mean they'll still count as VEE credit or no since originally I took them at a community college not listed ):
Old 03-21-2018, 12:46 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for IFM

Quote:
I took my Economics classes in a community college that isn't on the list I got once I followed your steps, but I transferred them to UConn (University of Connecticut) which IS on the list. Does that mean they'll still count as VEE credit or no since originally I took them at a community college not listed ):
This I'm not sure on. If your transcript at UConn shows a grade then that should be all you need. But if they are like my transcripts, they only show the transferred classes as credited and don't show a grade. So it shows the hours I earned but no grade. You have to have a transcript showing a B- or better. But if the class at the community college was similar enough to satisfy a class at UConn that counts for the VEE, it is likely the class at the community college could too (depending on the syllabus).

https://www.soa.org/education/exam-req/edu-vee.aspx

If you go to the above link and click on Guidelines for Course Approval and Application for Course Evaluation, you can see what is needed to get that class approved and have it count. I've never done this process so I'm not sure what it all entails or how long it takes. On the plus side Economics is the VEE that is not changing so it's not time sensitive.