Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 1/P - Probability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 05-15-2018, 10:34 PM
Non-Actuary

Default Will I be prepared in time?

I plan on starting my studying for July sitting of Exam P next week. I plan on studying about 3 hours every day (which adds up to about 140 hours of studying). Will this be sufficient study time? How many hours of studying did it take you to pass?
Old 05-16-2018, 03:18 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspringactuaryvp View Post
I plan on starting my studying for July sitting of Exam P next week. I plan on studying about 3 hours every day (which adds up to about 140 hours of studying). Will this be sufficient study time? How many hours of studying did it take you to pass?

It really depends on your background. If you've taken a good course in prob and stats, then that might be enough. I spent about 100 hours over 3 weeks the first time I took P, but I failed. Then I spent another 50 or so hours and passed on the next sitting.

If you have the time to spend now, just go for it. If you fail, you're more prepared for next time.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:58 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspringactuaryvp View Post
While it's important to study many hours for actuarial exams, you do run into a bunch of people who say things like "I studied X hours and STILL can't pass, what am I doing wrong?" and it's always a case of the person spending loads of hours studying problems they feel confident in and putting off areas that the person should really work on. Focus more on making sure every topic is a strong area and less on number of hours and I think you'll be happier with the results.

Best of luck!
Old 05-16-2018, 09:11 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

ITA with Normal Dan's comment.

You do need to put time in, but don't stop with that.

I would recommend reading a book recently put out about studying for actuarial Exams (link below). While it's not "perfect" and has some gaps (IMO), I think it will give you an idea of how you should think about studying. It's $10 digital; $15 print; $20 both.

For the "experienced" folks reading this thread, this is the book by Roy Ju and Mike Jennings. Second link below is to an AO thread where I did provide some additional comments on my review (this starts on post #139; but I think some of the side conversations in the thread can be entertaining as well (YMMV)).

http://www.rethinkstudying.com/book/

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=320731

Post #163 also has two links to some external reviews as well.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES