Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MFE
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-11-2018, 09:35 PM
SOA

College: UCSD Alumni
Default Does SOA have an MFE practice exam online?

Excuse my ignorance or lack of better googling skills, but I can't find the SOA sample exam for MFE. (Did they get rid of it since the recent syllabus change?)

I like to wait to take these right before the exam to see how I fare and hopefully boost my confidence. If you know where it is can you please point me in the right direction?

Also, what level adapt exams would you suggest taking to mimic the actual exam? I was able to pass level 7 but I don't feel very comfortable knowing some of the questions were repeat questions that I had seen before..

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2018, 09:37 PM
SOA

College: Bentley University

There are the SOA 76(?) which is 76(?) problems that cover pretty much all material you can expect on the exam

Former Disney World Cast Member, currently no idea what I'm doing
Old 03-11-2018, 09:48 PM
SOA

Studying for Done with exams.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mfe+...e+problems+soa
Old 03-11-2018, 09:53 PM
SOA

College: Bentley University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pension.Mathematics View Post
Those are the questions! but again, no actual test like FM/P

Former Disney World Cast Member, currently no idea what I'm doing
Old 03-11-2018, 10:36 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepingRocks View Post
Those are the questions! but again, no actual test like FM/P
darn. thanks, I will work my way through these to fill in any knowledge gaps I may have.

I just noticed that most of the pdfs I am looking at of the SOA76 are for older versions of MFE, and was hoping to find something more relevant to the most recent syllabus change. I am guessing they have not made an updated one for November 2017 through March 2018
Old 03-12-2018, 11:56 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleymarp View Post
darn. thanks, I will work my way through these to fill in any knowledge gaps I may have.

I just noticed that most of the pdfs I am looking at of the SOA76 are for older versions of MFE, and was hoping to find something more relevant to the most recent syllabus change. I am guessing they have not made an updated one for November 2017 through March 2018
I did all of the questions at each chapter's end (but not the practice tests) of the ASM manual and the SOA 76 and I was able to pass with flying colors. I found the SOA 76 extremely helpful.

MEF was the easiest exam out of MLC/MFE/C in my opinion.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:06 PM
SOA

Studying for MFE
College: University of Nebraska (alma mater)
Favorite beer: Captain Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepingRocks View Post
There are the SOA 76(?) which is 76(?) problems that cover pretty much all material you can expect on the exam
NO! (respectfully)

I posted this in the MFE threads, but I'll repeat what I put there. I took MFE in November and was only aware of the SOA 76 questions and passed just fine. However, those questions were not very helpful at all. I didn't realize until after the exam that there are much better questions out there.

At the bottom of the MFE syllabus are links to their revised questions. I believe there are two lists, one with introductory derivatives and one without. After I took the exam I looked at those questions and realized about half of my questions were EXACTLY like the ones on these practice problems. I strongly encourage you to go through those problems and not necessarily the SOA 76.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:57 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARodOmaha View Post
NO! (respectfully)

I posted this in the MFE threads, but I'll repeat what I put there. I took MFE in November and was only aware of the SOA 76 questions and passed just fine. However, those questions were not very helpful at all. I didn't realize until after the exam that there are much better questions out there.

At the bottom of the MFE syllabus are links to their revised questions. I believe there are two lists, one with introductory derivatives and one without. After I took the exam I looked at those questions and realized about half of my questions were EXACTLY like the ones on these practice problems. I strongly encourage you to go through those problems and not necessarily the SOA 76.
I took MFE almost 5 years ago so listen to this guy's advice.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:42 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARodOmaha View Post
NO! (respectfully)

I will keep this in mind especially now that the curriculum is changing. I went through the SOA 76 and unfortunately it had very little in common with the actual exam. Thank you for the advice
Old 06-05-2018, 01:25 PM

College: MSU

I'd recommend coaching actuaries ADAPT if you can afford it. There are also updated sample problems:

https://www.soa.org/Education/Exam-R...-exam-ifm.aspx