Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-05-2018, 06:50 AM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukelampard View Post
You should look for a new employer asap.
0 to 100 real quick

OP - sounds absurd but not necessarily an end-all. I've seen it happen for bonuses and mid-year hires, but I haven't seen it like you are describing.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:11 AM
CAS

Wow, so many younguns unfamiliar with the legend of dukelampard.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:13 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhst25 View Post
This is insane. Any normal place would calculate your raise as:

50,000*(.02)*(11/12) + 53,500*(.02)*(1/12) = 1,005.83
for a total salary of 53,500 + 1,005.83 = 54,505.83.

They're basically punishing you for getting promoted.

Expect that they will continue to pull crap like this for as long as you work for them.
This is what I was thinking, unless the promotion raise includes a performance bump, too, which it sounds like it doesn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by my_alt View Post
I haven't seen that, because that's stupid.

I have seen the annual performance raise be based on the actual salary you earned in the prior year. So if you were promoted in December, your performance raise would be x% * (11/12 * old salary + 1/12 * new salary).

Actually, I take that back. I have kind of seen the first thing done, but for new hires. Someone who was supposed to get a 5% raise only got 2.5% because they were hired at midyear.
Those are both the same thing. (Consider what 'old salary' is in the second scenario.)
Old 06-05-2018, 10:55 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
This is what I was thinking, unless the promotion raise includes a performance bump, too, which it sounds like it doesn't.

Those are both the same thing. (Consider what 'old salary' is in the second scenario.)
Yeah, but I'm singling the latter out because it seems less fair* and logical than the former. I've seen new hires kill it in their first year, get "large" percent raises as a result, only to see those raises get whittled down because they were only here for 6 or 9 months of a year. It's stupid. Don't tell people they're getting 8% when you really mean 4%.

In that case, your entire performance raise is based on work you did at a single salary level. Whereas under the x% * (11/12 * old salary + 1/12 * new salary) general case, your performance raise is mostly based on work you did at your old, cheap salary.

*Yeah, yeah. I know what the fair is. It's still stupid.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:35 AM
CAS

Studying for FCAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyz002 View Post
Come to our company, we haven't had a non-exam raise since 2015!
For real? Why? And why are you still there?
Old 06-05-2018, 11:40 AM
CAS

Studying for FCAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by trxlr View Post
Update: I did speak with my manager again about this and it seems like it is just a silly HR rule and they made a mistake by not waiting to promote until after the evaluation date. Luckily it is a minor amount anyways and not worth causing a big fuss over. Also, I was told that he would try to make up the difference in an extra bonus at the end of year. Thanks for the responses.
It doesn't matter what your boss' intentions are. What matters at the end of the day is what your boss can get done. In this case, they were unable to get you a decent raise just because you got promoted.

In a few years, don't be surprised if they throw some of the following at you:

-You did great this year, but HR will only let us give you a 1% raise because you are at the top of the salary band for your job class
-You're amazing and are doing better work than analysts 2 job titles above you, but HR won't let us promote you because you don't have x years of experience yet
-You clearly have the skill and ability to be a manager, but HR requires (irrelevant) x, y, and z so we'll go out and overpay an external hire instead of giving you the job

Have fun

Last edited by dukelampard; 06-05-2018 at 11:49 AM..
Old 06-05-2018, 12:34 PM

Yeah, somewhat agreeing with duke, somewhat disagreeing. I'll just say that there are limits to what a manager can do, and they need to expend their political capital judiciously. If they can't do everything you want, it's often worth cutting them some slack. If they're consistently failing to treat you fairly, it doesn't matter whether it's your manager or HR, it only matters that you're not getting what you deserve.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:40 PM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukelampard View Post
For real? Why? And why are you still there?
Them still being there is probably why the company doesn't bother giving raises.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:21 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

companies with stupid rules like that will have other stupid rules in place. I promise you will see another one before too long.

a good manager has value, but I can't take that good manager and his/her personality to the bursar's office at my son's college.

if you have local options, I would begin considering them. I have a pretty strong rule about accepting my employer manipulating my comp for too many cycles. after too many, I am complicit and can't get upset - I have allowed it so long. my goal is to be gone before that breaking point is reached.

General info at www.ctf.org

Team donation page here.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:07 PM
CAS

Studying for FCAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie frazier View Post
companies with stupid rules like that will have other stupid rules in place. I promise you will see another one before too long.

a good manager has value, but I can't take that good manager and his/her personality to the bursar's office at my son's college.

if you have local options, I would begin considering them. I have a pretty strong rule about accepting my employer manipulating my comp for too many cycles. after too many, I am complicit and can't get upset - I have allowed it so long. my goal is to be gone before that breaking point is reached.