Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Corporate Finance and ERM (CFE) Track > Strategic Decision Making
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-11-2018, 03:48 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Oberon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDayNumberCruncher View Post
It'd be more fitting for them to release results on Friday the 13th.
Good call.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:49 AM
SOA

Any thoughts from the study prep guys on the exam?
Old 06-04-2018, 02:06 PM
SOA

College: University of Minnesota
Favorite beer: New Glarus - Spotted Cow

I had a question about the BJA ROE question. Felt like a trick question given the project was entirely financed with debt. What were we supposed to do there?
Old 06-05-2018, 06:26 PM
SOA

College: University of Manitoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDayNumberCruncher View Post
I had a question about the BJA ROE question. Felt like a trick question given the project was entirely financed with debt. What were we supposed to do there?
I may be wrong, but I assume that this question (7 c ii) is expecting you to use the Equity from BJA's overall balance sheet in the exhibits to do the ROE calculation. The tricky part is that BJA's E is negative ... which would give you a negative ROE. This would then be part of the c iii answer asking why ROE may be misleading in this case.

Steve

steve.scoles@xpactuarial.com
http://www.xpactuarial.com/
Old 06-05-2018, 06:38 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardo! View Post
Any thoughts from the study prep guys on the exam?
At a high-level I thought the exam was a good exam for demonstrating an ability to understand and support strategic decision making (which I think this exam has not always been so good at reflecting!)

There were a few really detailed part questions. For example, 4 points for the "Spotlight Effect" which is covered in really only about 1 page of the Nudge book. But there are always some detailed questions that really force students to not have any significant weak areas going into the exam.

The amount of points I tallied was 70 for the part questions where you needed a thorough understanding of the case to answer properly. This is right inline with past exams.

As a general exam remark, there is really no easy or hard exams as the passing mark will be a function of the adjusted standard scores for each question.

However, one thing that was good about this sitting was there were no major confusing questions that would have put up a brick wall in the way of demonstrating your understanding/application of the source material (like question 9 from the Fall/17 sitting).

As a final comment, I really prefer the new syllabus (as of last sitting) as it eliminated a large amount of short study notes & case studies. Having a small number of current events to apply the material to is a really nice way to actually *learn* the material rather than having to memorize a large amount of those study note details. Particularly given they already have a 150 page case study in this exam.

Steve

Old 07-10-2018, 01:16 PM
SOA

So a few days, huh?
Old 07-10-2018, 09:05 PM
SOA

Studying for ERM, CFE, SDM

This is always such a nervous week. Each day just draaaaaaaaags on. But we're so close!

www.pakstudymanual.com
PAK Study Manual Packages/Seminars for CFE/SDM/ERM Fall 2018

SDM: Sample
CFE: Sample
ERM: Sample
Old 07-10-2018, 09:59 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardo! View Post
So a few days, huh?
For a very brief time in the history of receiving exam grades, you could call an SOA operator to find out if your candidate number was on the passing list. That momentary pause, while the operator looked up your result, felt like forever!

(By the way, I can't imagine what the highs and lows of that operator's job was like!)

Steve

Old 07-10-2018, 11:50 PM
SOA

Studying for ERM, CFE, SDM

It was hard enough to get the courage to look at the PDF; actually calling another human being and asking them if you passed must have taken some steely nerves!

www.pakstudymanual.com
PAK Study Manual Packages/Seminars for CFE/SDM/ERM Fall 2018

SDM: Sample
CFE: Sample
ERM: Sample
Old 07-12-2018, 12:51 PM
SOA

This thread will be really heat tomorrow ... but while we are waiting for results, Here is a question from the Spring 2018 SDM exam (#3)

Frenz is developing a new smartphone app to increase coffee sales. To quantify the expected sales, Frenzís marketing team starts with the actual sales figures from Frenzís last successful marketing campaign.

(i) Identify a bias caused by the above approach to quantify expected sales. Justify your answer.

One thing that I saw with working with students closely last sitting and on our forum, was students were mis-identifying biases or incorrectly justifying their choice. This was an example where a lot of specifc examples and feedback were important. We then also built even more examples into our practice exams to recognize this was an area where students specifically needed to improve.

On our forum, I've found that it's important to go beyond just answering questions, but actively testing students understanding where they may not realize they are prone to making mistakes. It's these small areas of actively trying and then getting feedback that can really add up for students.

So what did you answer for this SOA question?

(If you are a little shy, feel free to private message me and I will give you specific feedback on your answer)

Steve