Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 06-08-2018, 04:34 PM
SOA

College: Bentley University
Default Dumb Mixture Question

[Disclaimer: I'm studying for STAM, not C]

The question is 4.7 from the latest C manual: Losses for an insurance coverage follow a distribution which is a mixture of an exponential distribution with mean 5 and an exponential distribution with mean X. The mean loss size is 7.5. The variance of loss size is 75.

Determine the coefficient of skewness of the loss distribution.

Okay so I know variation for an exponential is mean squared and E[X^2]-E[X]^2 = Var[X]. So for an exponential, E[X^2] = 2*(Mean^2). So with w as the weight of the exponential with mean 5, 5w+X(1-w)=7.5. Simplifying gets us w=(7.5-X)/(5-X).
We can also find that 50w+2(X^2)(1-w)=131.25, because 131.25 is the E[X^2] of the mixture (75 + (7.5^2)) and the weighted E[X^2] should be equal to this. Simplifying gives us w=(131.25-2(X^2))/(50-2(X^2)).

Setting the two w expressions equal to find X, I eventually simplify to the quadratic: 50(X^2) - 81.25X + 281.25 = 0. This quadratic has no solution. The solution in the book used a completely different approach so I can't look there to see where I messed up. Any help would be appreciated

Former Disney World Cast Member, currently no idea what I'm doing
Old 06-08-2018, 04:53 PM
SOA

Studying for MFE
College: University of Nebraska (alma mater)
Favorite beer: Captain Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepingRocks View Post

The question is 4.7 from the latest C manual: Losses for an insurance coverage follow a distribution which is a mixture of an exponential distribution with mean 5 and an exponential distribution with mean X. The mean loss size is 7.5. The variance of loss size is 75.

Okay so I know variation for an exponential is mean squared and E[X^2]-E[X]^2 = Var[X]. So for an exponential, E[X^2] = 2*(Mean^2). So with w as the weight of the exponential with mean 5, 5w+X(1-w)=7.5. Simplifying gets us w=(7.5-X)/(5-X).
We can also find that 50w+2(X^2)(1-w)=131.25, because 131.25 is the E[X^2] of the mixture (75 + (7.5^2)) and the weighted E[X^2] should be equal to this. Simplifying gives us w=(131.25-2(X^2))/(50-2(X^2)).

Setting the two w expressions equal to find X, I eventually simplify to the quadratic: 50(X^2) - 81.25X + 281.25 = 0. This quadratic has no solution. The solution in the book used a completely different approach so I can't look there to see where I messed up. Any help would be appreciated
You are correct that you should equate the two moments and not equate the variance.

5w + (1-w)*x = 7.5
50w + (1-w)*(2x^2) = 131.25

I solved for x = (7.5 - 5w)/(1-w). Plug this into the second equation to get w=0.6 and x=11.25.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:06 PM
SOA

College: Bentley University

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARodOmaha View Post
You are correct that you should equate the two moments and not equate the variance.

5w + (1-w)*x = 7.5
50w + (1-w)*(2x^2) = 131.25

I solved for x = (7.5 - 5w)/(1-w). Plug this into the second equation to get w=0.6 and x=11.25.
I tried that and got the solution you got. Still curious as to why mine didn't work

Former Disney World Cast Member, currently no idea what I'm doing
Old 06-08-2018, 05:07 PM

You could use the variance equation:

25w + (1-w)x^2 + (x-5)^2 w(1-w) =75

If you plug in x in terms of w from the mean equation you get a linear equation in w after some cancelation.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:19 PM
SOA

College: Wabash College B.A. 1962, Stanford Ph.D. 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepingRocks View Post

You have the coefficient of X^2 wrong in your simplified quadratic---it should be 5 rather than 50. Then the quadratic has two solutions, X=5 (which is impossible by your first equation involving w and X), and X=11.25. Then you get w = 0.6.
jimdaniel@actuarialseminars.com