Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-09-2018, 04:57 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IroningBoard View Post
I’m a fellow, wouldn’t consider myself “senior” yet though. Why can I forget US/Bermuda/Australia? Do they not hire foreign workers?
US is problematic because of the necessity of a Visa and sponsorship.

Australia is less problematic, but you will have to jump through many hoops and their points system. The only good news is that Actuaries are still in their skilled shortage occupations list so it won't be a total crapshoot for you. The immigration process will also be expensive. For Bermuda see my last reply.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
Bermuda chiefly recruits very senior Actuaries from the UK. They get their analysts from the US. It is exceedingly rare for an analyst/recently qualified Actuary in the UK to find a spot in Bermuda. I have honestly never seen it happen, only folks with 20+ years experience end up getting a job there.
Is time of huge importance? What if somebody had significantly less experience but had a fairly senior role? Say for example only 10 years experience but “head of” title, leading a team of 20 people at a large global company?
Old 06-10-2018, 02:31 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Bermuda chiefly recruits very senior Actuaries from the UK. They get their analysts from the US. It is exceedingly rare for an analyst/recently qualified Actuary in the UK to find a spot in Bermuda. I have honestly never seen it happen, only folks with 20+ years experience end up getting a job there.
That makes no sense. Please explain why that would be.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:38 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
What's the rule for Canadians ? do they need to be exactly 42yo to be considered ? what if they have dual citizenship with either US or UK ?
Old 06-10-2018, 04:48 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IroningBoard View Post
Is time of huge importance? What if somebody had significantly less experience but had a fairly senior role? Say for example only 10 years experience but “head of” title, leading a team of 20 people at a large global company?
It's not a matter of "time". It's a matter of the people you are competing for in the UK for those jobs. The vast majority of them will have > 10 years of experience.

Also, just to be precise. Bermuda obviously recruits Actuaries from the US for senior roles, but in as far as the UK is concerned on the life side, the folks that I know have landed a job in Bermuda where all very senior (20+ years experience and Head of Dept. at minimum).