Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 06-07-2018, 09:02 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for FM
Default Career changer searching for resume feedback

Hi all,

I am a career changer (teacher to actuary) looking for some resume feedback. Thank you in advance for all your help!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Resume_Generic_.pdf (78.5 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by eruben1007; 06-07-2018 at 08:55 PM..
Old 06-08-2018, 06:41 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

I still don't really get the point of having linkedin on there. If there's important stuff you want to get across on linkedin, why isn't it on the resume? If there's nothing important on linkedin, why include it?

I'd try to leave an inch of margin .

I'd not label the phone number.

I'd indent all text under the section headings a little to make the overall format stand out a little more. If you do that, you won't need the all-caps and underlining in the section headings.

I'd use filled circle bullets rather than hyphens for your bullets.

I'd not use bullets everywhere. You don't need them for exams and education. Maybe not for skills?

The exams are really dense and hard to read. There's no need for the SOA and CAS and the subject. I suggest a more tabular-looking, fairly-closely-spaced bunch of left-aligned columns: "Exam P/1", "Passed"/"Sitting", date. That should make it much easier to read at a glance.

14 bullets for teaching is way too much. Filling space is not the goal. Every reader will know what a teacher does, so avoid the obvious.

I'd use "Taught ...." rather than "Courses taught:".

Yeah, you don't need bullets 2-5, as they're obvious. Also, I'd not include anything that includes a frequency. That just makes what you do sound less impressive.

I'd not use official class names, but instead would use the class subject and put it in lower case.

You don't need 6-10. I'd not use "various".

You don't need 12-13. Can you write #14 as having procured (although I'd not use that word - I'd probably go with "Raised ...? or something like that) the funds rather than just "discovering"? And do you know how much money? If so, I'd include it. If not, I'd probably get rid of it. Again, there's no reason at all to ever use "various". It adds nothing.

I'd abbreviate B.A. and M.S. I'd put the M.S. first. Not only is it the standard, but it puts your better GPA on the top. I'd not bother with the "Graduation:". You should have room to put the gpa on a separate line, which probably means you need space between the degrees.

Excel is likely the most important skill of what you listed, and it is what you know best, so why did you put it at the bottom where it is harder to find? I'd leave off "Microsoft".

I don't know why you'd have to list the college in the awards, as you only went to one college, presumably. If not, mentioning another college will just raise questions, so why bring it up?

The "Other" section is BS filler and can just go imo.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:05 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for FM

@vjvj

Woah! Tremendous help with your feedback, thank you so much. My resume looks so much cleaner.