Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 06-13-2018, 11:10 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMathNotMeth View Post
... I'm afraid that it will be offered twice a year (summer/winter). Add that concern to a likely 12+ week grading window means that skipping on the first sitting may delay getting an ASA until the second half of 2019 (and that assumes you pass on the first attempt!).

Have you started on FAP yet? If not, I'd recommend getting through that ASAP so you can focus on the first sitting. I'm hoping to get several months of studying in, but I know materials will be sparse and little is known about the PA "modules."
Since I already studied for and took MLC and my Econ VEE this year, I only have enough company sponsored study hours left to tackle one of the two this year, unfortunately. Thinking about the grading period and 4-6 months between sittings makes me want to do the PA exam a bit more now, since I can work through FAP while waiting for PA results... That could hopefully allow me to get my ASA one year from now.

Dang
Old 06-13-2018, 01:17 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP
College: BU Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post
Since I already studied for and took MLC and my Econ VEE this year, I only have enough company sponsored study hours left to tackle one of the two this year, unfortunately. Thinking about the grading period and 4-6 months between sittings makes me want to do the PA exam a bit more now, since I can work through FAP while waiting for PA results... That could hopefully allow me to get my ASA one year from now.

Dang
Yeah, that's tough. I think either route makes sense: focus on FAP, meaning you'll miss the first PA sitting, but the available study materials will probably be better for the second PA sitting; or focus on PA, meaning you'll delay FAP but be able to work on it while waiting for PA results.

It might be smart to get a head start on FAP before the PA module is released then transition to PA full-time, too. The FAP subscription is good for two years, and if you invest some personal time you could definitely get a couple modules wrapped up in the next month.

In any event, best wishes and happy studying.

FAP: 1 2 3 (Waiting... ) 4 5 (Waiting... ) IA 6 7 8 FA

VEE: Econ Finance Stats
Old 06-18-2018, 12:45 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for FAP

As someone who missed the old requirements by missing only the FA on the FAP, I am obviously very bitter about having to not only redo that, but this PA nonsense also.

Is it just me or from reading the PA syllabus, that it is basically:

- a glorified FA, but with only 5 hours instead of 96
- a money grab given the $1,125 price tag
- just another obstacle thrown up for the sake of throwing up another obstacle

I'm willing to hear from others, especially people who pushed for the 3/30 FAP deadline and came up short.

FAP: EOMs | IA | FA

PA

APC
Old 06-20-2018, 11:22 AM
SOA

Studying for FSA Module & Exam
College: University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign~Alumna
Favorite beer: Summer Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by beilny View Post
As someone who missed the old requirements by missing only the FA on the FAP, I am obviously very bitter about having to not only redo that, but this PA nonsense also.

Is it just me or from reading the PA syllabus, that it is basically:

- a glorified FA, but with only 5 hours instead of 96
- a money grab given the $1,125 price tag
- just another obstacle thrown up for the sake of throwing up another obstacle

I'm willing to hear from others, especially people who pushed for the 3/30 FAP deadline and came up short.
I was able to make the deadline (barely), but I've read the PA syllabus and the emails on PA. My takeaways were the same. I'm hoping that the modules related to it will help prepare candidates for it, but I have my doubts that they will.

ASA-June(?)