Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-14-2018, 11:05 AM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
So, I avoid drive thrus, but the rare times i use them, I'm that person who takes a while. You can't see the ####ing menu until you are at the order place. I don't eat fast food that often. I don't know what I'm going to eat until i know what you serve.

If i walk up to the counter, I can just hang back and not get in line until I've read the menu, but there's no way to do that with a drive thru.
Unless it's some little mom & pop fast food/diner, there will be an online menu. So unless you don't have a smartphone you could shop the menu while you're waiting in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androzani Major View Post
Maybe a better statement is that I enjoyed having experienced it both ways?
Old 06-14-2018, 11:07 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pujols4Prez View Post
So this doesnít make me irrationally mad, but Iím surprised this far into the thread and no one has brought up people who put ketchup on their hotdogs/brats. Shocked.
Ketchup is the only thing I "need" on my hot dog. Mustard/onions/chili/cheese are all "wants", but I could make do without them.

If you don't have any ketchup I'll be having something other than a hot dog/brat, or nothing if that's the only choice.

Quote:
Old 06-14-2018, 11:07 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Beer-Sheva

Quote:
When in doubt, just order the #1. Every fast food place will have a #1 and it will probably be their most popular meal.
But if the #1 doesn't agree with me then I'll spend too much time with #2
Old 06-14-2018, 11:09 AM
CAS AAA

Quote:
So this doesnít make me irrationally mad, but Iím surprised this far into the thread and no one has brought up people who put ketchup on their hotdogs/brats. Shocked.
You would just relish the thought of it
Old 06-14-2018, 11:10 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
YES! I started to post something quite similar. I'll ask my wife to repeat herself, and when she does, she does so while facing away from me. Now, it's not like she's choosing to look away from me, to deliberately make it harder on me. No, she usually is just trying to multi-task, and what she needs is away from me. But it's maddening to me that she doesn't realize that talking at the exact same volume as before is only likely to be successful if she talks more directly to me, and/or with less interfering sound.

She seems to think that when I didn't hear her, it's because I wasn't trying hard enough. So if I didn't hear her the second time, it's because I'm still not giving her my full attention.

Garh!!!
My son has a bunch of koosh balls in his room, and the cats will often drag them all over the house to play with. If there is one near me I will pick it up and throw it at her to get her attention to let her know that I still can't hear what she's saying because now the vacuum is running as well as the TV and the microwave and the dishwasher that she started earlier.

Quote:
Old 06-14-2018, 11:10 AM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
Ketchup is the only thing I "need" on my hot dog. Mustard/onions/chili/cheese are all "wants", but I could make do without them.

If you don't have any ketchup I'll be having something other than a hot dog/brat, or nothing if that's the only choice.
Mustard is my first choice, but if it's the crappy yellow stuff then I'll go with ketchup.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:28 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
So, I avoid drive thrus, but the rare times i use them, I'm that person who takes a while. You can't see the ####ing menu until you are at the order place. I don't eat fast food that often. I don't know what I'm going to eat until i know what you serve.

If i walk up to the counter, I can just hang back and not get in line until I've read the menu, but there's no way to do that with a drive thru.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
Unless it's some little mom & pop fast food/diner, there will be an online menu. So unless you don't have a smartphone you could shop the menu while you're waiting in line.
Also, there are lots of places that I haven't been to in several years and didn't visit that many times in the first place, but I still have some idea of what they serve and what I'm in the mood for (even if I don't have it narrowed down to the exact meal I want)... If I have no clue what they have to offer, I go inside so I have time to read the menu and think about what I want without holding up the line outside.

Quote:
Old 06-14-2018, 11:41 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Sass View Post
This only works if you are on a non-stop flight to your destination.

If they make you gate check because the overheads are full on the first flight, they will tell you they are going to check your bag to your final destination. You can even watch them put the tag on it with the correct place. What you won't see is them unloading your bag at your layover airport and sending it to the baggage area there along with everyone else's. You will also not see your bag for at least two days.

This has happened to me more than once.
The bolded is situational dependent. I've had them give me my bag at my layover city. That tends to be on the regional jets where none of the suitcases fit.

On the larger airplanes where a decent number of bags fit then they'll check it to your final destination. Still one less step in the process for it to get lost and still free as compared to paying $25 to get it checked at the ticket counter.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:03 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Fat Tire, Corona

L30 threads
Old 06-14-2018, 12:24 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
YES! I started to post something quite similar. I'll ask my wife to repeat herself, and when she does, she does so while facing away from me. Now, it's not like she's choosing to look away from me, to deliberately make it harder on me. No, she usually is just trying to multi-task, and what she needs is away from me. But it's maddening to me that she doesn't realize that talking at the exact same volume as before is only likely to be successful if she talks more directly to me, and/or with less interfering sound.

She seems to think that when I didn't hear her, it's because I wasn't trying hard enough. So if I didn't hear her the second time, it's because I'm still not giving her my full attention.

Garh!!!

my wife will be on the couch and talk to me while facing the tv. i'm at the kitchen counter behind her, water in sink on and if i can't hear it's because i wasn't paying attention. to top it off, she doesn't speak very loud.