Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe


General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-12-2008, 02:38 PM
California's Avatar
California California is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 467
Default Actuaries in the news

Congratulations to Gary Hirschkron. I wonder how he will use his knowledge of modern European history. Perhaps it includes the Morris Review of the Actuarial Profession and Solvency II.

Quote from the National Underwriter:

- AXA Equitable Life Insurance Company, New York, a unit of AXA S.A., Paris, has named Gary Hirschkron president of AXA Partners, the life insurance arm of AXA Distributors L.L.C., Farmington, Conn.

Hirschkron has been a managing director at AXA Partners.

Hirschkron has a bachelorís degree in modern European history from Princeton University. He is a Fellow of the Society of Actuaries.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Corn Row's Avatar
Corn Row Corn Row is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,738
Default

So?
__________________
Lord, beer me strength.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-13-2008, 04:31 AM
Shaft's Avatar
Shaft Shaft is offline
Member
CAS SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
Congratulations to Gary Hirschkron. I wonder how he will use his knowledge of modern European history. Perhaps it includes the Morris Review of the Actuarial Profession and Solvency II.

That's not history, that's sociology.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-09-2009, 10:20 AM
JMO's Avatar
JMO JMO is offline
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back home again in Indiana
Studying for Nothing actuarial.
Posts: 37,445
Default

Blogger talks about the problems with Fair Value. Reply # 4 mentions actuaries.

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2009/01...ernative-view/
__________________
Carol Marler, "Just My Opinion"

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.


My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.

Last edited by JMO; 02-09-2009 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: link added
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-09-2009, 10:50 AM
campbell's Avatar
campbell campbell is offline
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NY
Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout
Posts: 84,215
Blog Entries: 6
Default

Does this thread come with any links?
__________________
It's STUMP

LinkedIn Profile
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-09-2009, 10:58 AM
JMO's Avatar
JMO JMO is offline
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back home again in Indiana
Studying for Nothing actuarial.
Posts: 37,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Does this thread come with any links?
Sorry. I'll try to FMP.
__________________
Carol Marler, "Just My Opinion"

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.


My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Jack's Avatar
Jack Jack is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: 100 Luten Avenue, 10312
Studying for Life
Favorite beer: Free Beer
Posts: 14,880
Default

I don't get it. Why are we talking about a promotion of some guy at AXA?
__________________
Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared the way for Jefferson Starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons Project, which I believe was some sort of hovercraft. For more information on Grand Funk consult your local library.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Wigmeister General's Avatar
Wigmeister General Wigmeister General is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beverly Hills off Canon Drive
Favorite beer: Ringnes
Posts: 18,318
Default

__________________
Spoiler:
* * * * * *
"No one remembers 5K and I wrote a nice poem for the occassion. No one remember's 10k. No one will remember 20k either." - Sir Post-A-Lot

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."
-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

"The problem with socialism is you eventually run out of other peoples' money." -- Margaret Thatcher

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." -- George Washington

"Caca pasa" - Anonymous
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-10-2009, 07:18 AM
JMO's Avatar
JMO JMO is offline
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back home again in Indiana
Studying for Nothing actuarial.
Posts: 37,445
Default

With link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
Blogger talks about the problems with Fair Value. Reply # 4 mentions actuaries.

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2009/01...ernative-view/
__________________
Carol Marler, "Just My Opinion"

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.


My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-06-2009, 01:48 PM
JMO's Avatar
JMO JMO is offline
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back home again in Indiana
Studying for Nothing actuarial.
Posts: 37,445
Default

So the current issue of SOA Today cites an FSA who was interviewed by Financial Times "for an article on the future of technology." Just out of curiousity, I searched the Actuarial Directory. The first thing I found was that the SOA misspelled* his name. He is Karsan, not Karson. And the second thing I found was that he does not belong to the technology section, nor to the futurism section. Hmmmmm.

*The SOA has been showing signs lately of needing a new proofreader. Not that they are the only ones. . .
__________________
Carol Marler, "Just My Opinion"

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.


My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.20553 seconds with 9 queries