Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-28-2010, 04:20 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM773 View Post
Offer date: April 28, 2010
Start Date: June 28, 2010
Field: Investments
You have two months before you start at your new job (congrats). Was this becuase of some constraint on your part or just how the company structured the offer?

I am asking becuase I am curious how long the gap can be between the offer date and the start date.

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:35 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
Favorite beer: liquor over beer any day

i'm a teacher right now and they asked when i could start. i told them i didn't want to abandon my kids, but if it was a do or die decision to start tomorrow, then i'd have a very hard choice on my hands...

however, one actuary said to me (after i described this to her), "Far be it for me to tell you what to do, but if I were you and a company asked me to abandon my current position and abandon my commitment in order to start immediately, i would question the integrity of the company altogether..." i liked that answer... plus HR told me they would work around the schedule of the candidate they selected and were more concerned about selecting the right people...

P FM MFE MLC C

VEE:
Applied Stats Corporate Finance Economics

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFActuary View Post
Also, you know you're over obcessed with Exam MFE when you go out for Chinese food (study break) and when the server tells me my Asian food Options on the menu, I ask if they are arithmetic or geometric options.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:06 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: wine

Quote:
i'm a teacher right now and they asked when i could start. i told them i didn't want to abandon my kids, but if it was a do or die decision to start tomorrow, then i'd have a very hard choice on my hands...

however, one actuary said to me (after i described this to her), "Far be it for me to tell you what to do, but if I were you and a company asked me to abandon my current position and abandon my commitment in order to start immediately, i would question the integrity of the company altogether..." i liked that answer... plus HR told me they would work around the schedule of the candidate they selected and were more concerned about selecting the right people...
congrats, it sounds like you found a company that will be a good fit. best.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:48 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Cracked Canoe

Offer date: March 1998
Start date: May 1998
Field: Insurance

...does that count as "recent"?
Old 04-29-2010, 12:04 PM
SOA

Quote:

How far in advance did you start your job search until you got your offer? I am currently teaching now, but next year my family plans on moving and I hope to make the switch from teaching into the actuarial field. Any sort of advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:36 PM
CAS

Studying for Nothing Ever Again
College: been there, done that
Favorite beer: You gonna finish that?

Quote:
Offer date: April 28, 2010
Start Date: June 28, 2010
Field: Investments
Hey, congrats!! Aren't you glad now that you didn't accept that other (crappy) offer?
Old 04-29-2010, 05:40 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginop View Post
How far in advance did you start your job search until you got your offer? I am currently teaching now, but next year my family plans on moving and I hope to make the switch from teaching into the actuarial field. Any sort of advice would be greatly appreciated.
i've been searching for the past 2 years, i started looking around nov, dec bc that's when companies start the process for looking for new interns and grads for entry levels... it's been about a month process from start to finish, so i would say it's never too early.

where's the good dr.'s sig line? pass some exams while you can in teaching, espec while you have the summer's available. from june 22nd (when we got out of school, literally the day of) to aug 18 i was studying for fm and bc of all the extra time i was able to pass with only 1.5 months of studying... with your family it might be a little tougher, but if they're understanding that this is what you want to do and it will be a great benefit to your family then u should be good to go. definitely develop the soft skills and try to work on as many extra projects in teaching as you can. that was something that was brought up a lot in the interview process...

P FM MFE MLC C

VEE:

Quote:
Also, you know you're over obcessed with Exam MFE when you go out for Chinese food (study break) and when the server tells me my Asian food Options on the menu, I ask if they are arithmetic or geometric options.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:07 PM

Studying for VEEs & FAP
College: University at Buffalo Alumni
Favorite beer: Corona w/ Lime

Quote:
definitely develop the soft skills and try to work on as many extra projects in teaching as you can. that was something that was brought up a lot in the interview process...
Very true. Interviewers like people who were proactive, and cared about their colleagues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
REPENT
THE END IS NIGH
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluan View Post
You sound way too excited about studying for 7.

A bit of studying will fix that, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKenk View Post
Nope. 7 is the must pass of all must passes next spring. Can leave absolutely nothing to chance. Study schedule starts on November 15th. Is it nuts? Probably. Will I pass? Definitely. Will it be worth it? Of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKenk's blog
A bit of an early start for a second sitting, but this exam is a must pass, and there's no such thing as too much studying for a must pass
Old 04-30-2010, 12:12 AM
= I Must Pass

Studying for drinking
Favorite beer: blue moon....cuz i'm a female

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginop View Post
You have two months before you start at your new job (congrats). Was this becuase of some constraint on your part or just how the company structured the offer?

I am asking becuase I am curious how long the gap can be between the offer date and the start date.

Thanks.
i had a 6 month gap. i was a student when i received my offer and my projected started date was the end of the summer.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:04 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC

when i was an intern i got offered a job a year in advance, so definitely need that internship experience too!

P FM MFE MLC C

VEE:

Quote:

Tags
data science, predictive analytics