Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:13 PM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondlife View Post
Betting on CAS would be swallowed by SOA. If the NAIC and AAA recognize SOA-GI, then CAS is dead.
Even if the NAIC and the AAA recognize SOA-GI, it's unlikely the CAS will actually die. Instead, I think you see the start of a future in which the CAS eventually merges with the SOA, perhaps living on as a special interest group within/alongside the Society.

The process could take a decade or two, depending on how long before (or even "if") a critical mass of students start pursuing the SOA-GI track. Alternatively, perhaps the CAS will simply recognize the SOA-GI exams and modules, if they prove sufficiently rigorous.

Time will tell.

(Re-disclosure: I'm a career ACAS. I'm intending to go for FSA-GI. For me, the first step on that path is a CAS exam.)
Old 05-17-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maphisto's Sidekick View Post
(Re-disclosure: I'm a career ACAS. I'm intending to go for FSA-GI. For me, the first step on that is a CAS exam.)
I am all in favor of you continuing your education and in no way want to discourage that. But if the reason that you are doing this is not to improve your skill set, but rather to get another credential, I worry that you might be disappointed in the end game.

Suppose that five years from now you have completed the FSA-GI, and the CAS decides to grant ACAS to anyone with an FSA-GI. Won't you feel that your new credential maybe isn't so valuable?

I can only imagine how the real double fellows feel about what has already happened.

But like I said, if you are doing it to improve your skill set, then I am 100% behind you.

"I think that probably clarifies things pretty good by itself."
Old 05-17-2013, 01:53 PM
CAS SOA AAA

..and say you wanted to change jobs and I were interviewing you for something in P&C, my 1st question on discovering you - as a career ACAS - want to do SOA GI is "why are you not doing FCAS?"
Old 05-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maphisto's Sidekick View Post
....deleted....
I still think the most interesting potential metric will be how many "traitors' memberships" or exam waivers are granted at the next SOA board meeting...if they even report the number in the minutes.
Let us look at FCAS who are going for (free) FSA. Who are they? People who like letters only? People who volunteered in the E&E side of CAS, but got frustrated with "senior die hard no change needed for E&E system" volunteers; or the new FCAS who think CAS exam system need changes etc .. Are they traitors or saviors?
Old 05-17-2013, 02:10 PM
CAS

Quote:
Let us look at FCAS who are going for (free) FSA. Who are they? People who like letters only? People who volunteered in the E&E side of CAS, but got frustrated with "senior die hard no change needed for E&E system" volunteers; or the new FCAS who think CAS exam system need changes etc .. Are they traitors or saviors?
None of the above. They are risk-averse actuaries who want to guard against the possibilty that the SOA will kill the CAS, and make sure they get the SOA credential while it is cheap (at least in effort, if not in $$$$). They are also young. Older actuaries know that the FCAS will be enough of credential for the rest of their professional career. (Unless they want to practice in another area, of course.)

They may also be casualty actuaries who practice in places where most of the actuaries are FSA, and they think the FSA will be easier for their customers to understand.

No one is going to pay a steep annuity to the SOA just as a protest against exams. The SOA will let you volunteer on their E&E system without buying the credential.

Last edited by Gecko; 05-17-2013 at 02:13 PM..
Old 05-17-2013, 02:13 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
None of the above. They are risk-averse actuaries who want to guard against the possibilty that the SOA will kill the CAS, and make sure they get the SOA credential while it is cheap (at least in effort, if not in $$$$).
They might be people who don't fully understand when to exercise American call options.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:18 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
They might be people who don't fully understand when to exercise American call options.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:28 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
Quote:
the people who teach in Wharton don't understand the asymmetry of options.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:42 PM
CAS

Studying for nothing

CAS and SOA leadership posted a memo (with no specific information) on their sites today. The good news it's the first memo since their relationships deteriorated that they posted identical messages.

CAS Link
Old 05-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsaball View Post
CAS and SOA leadership posted a memo (with no specific information) on their sites today. The good news it's the first memo since their relationships deteriorated that they posted identical messages.

CAS Link

Of course the language of the letter is negotiations-still-in-progress, so it doesn't actually say anything, but it does confirm that they are speaking to one another now.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.

Tags
predictive analytics