Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Life
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 06-09-2014, 09:31 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by E View Post
Well, actuaries do have fairly low suicide rates as a profession. So there's that.
Actually, it's even better than that: we've got really low mortality rates in general

i'm waiting for enough female actuaries to die so that we can tell the world just how awesome we are (except, i have a feeling that female actuaries won't have such a high mortality differential as the male actuaries do)

LinkedIn Profile
Old 06-09-2014, 09:35 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

i'm on the ipad, so my search capabilities sort of suck

here's a semiold study
http://www.soa.org/library/journals/.../APF0701_7.pdf

LinkedIn Profile
Old 06-09-2014, 09:38 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

and one more

http://www.soa.org/library/newslette...or2007oct.aspx

LinkedIn Profile
Old 06-10-2014, 08:28 AM

Studying for Nope
Favorite beer: Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Actually, it's even better than that: we've got really low mortality rates in general

i'm waiting for enough female actuaries to die so that we can tell the world just how awesome we are (except, i have a feeling that female actuaries won't have such a high mortality differential as the male actuaries do)
A lot of that could be common to any nice professional group though (I'm thinking engineers or other upperish middle class jobs). From your second line

"The January 2007 paper compared FSA mortality to recent pension plan experience and individual life experience reported on the SOA Web site and found it to be favorable, but direct comparisons of FSA mortality to other professional groups is difficult to accomplish because insurance carriers that have actual experience on comparable professional groups consider such information to be proprietary and are not willing to make it public. Without a direct comparison to other professional groups, the question as to precisely how good FSA mortality experience has been to relative to other professions remains open."
Old 06-10-2014, 08:53 AM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

College: UGA

I think actuaries, generally and historically speaking, sought out a career that was fulfilling intellectually as much as financially. Speaking mostly from personal and anecdotal experience, I think a lot of people choose the legal, dental, etc. professions for reasons more tied to money and perceived social status. More often than not, these are paths that lead to emptiness by middle age.

That's not to suggest that these are the reasons behind the suicide differential. There are probably many other factors at play. But given that work is such a major part of one's identity in the modern Western world, it makes sense that the fulfillment in one's profession would have a large bearing on their lifelong mental health.

I've been doing some personal research on this topic, but it's mostly just generated a lot more questions than answers.

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

We have your exam covered:

LP | LFV-U | LFV-C | LRM | ERM | QFI Core | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our new R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
Old 06-10-2014, 09:46 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

You know who has =really= low mortality?

Professors.

I used to freak out people at TIAA-CREF when I worked there when I sent around longevity research articles with the comment "When there are treatments, you know who the first people to get them will be, right? Profs at research universities."

LinkedIn Profile
Old 06-10-2014, 09:49 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
You know who has =really= low mortality?

Professors.

I used to freak out people at TIAA-CREF when I worked there when I sent around longevity research articles with the comment "When there are treatments, you know who the first people to get them will be, right? Profs at research universities."
Nuns also live forever. A friend did a pension valuation for a group of nuns, once.

I think E is right about the stresses and satisfcations of the job having an influence on thiese things. I bet lawyers have higher mortality than actuaries. That's a less kind and gentle field.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:00 AM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
I bet lawyers have higher mortality than actuaries. That's a less kind and gentle field.
I know that rates of depression are especially high among lawyers. This is probably due to many factors, but based on experiences shared with a number of lawyers I know, most of them don't seem to get a lot of fulfillment in "helping" people. Most complain about the endless race to hit their billable hours and being hounded by clients all the time. Lawyers, next to people in high finance, are probably among the professions with the worst work/life balance.

LP | LFV-U | LFV-C | LRM | ERM | QFI Core | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Sp

Old 06-19-2014, 03:17 PM

Favorite beer: Kornbluth home brew

Quote:
Originally Posted by E View Post
Has anyone seen a study (or article about a study) that looks at historical suicide rates not just by a broad industry label (i.e. "white collar" or "lawyer") but by workplace conditions? In other words, a study looking for a connection between workplace environment/culture and suicide?

Even more specific, ignoring job title and industry, which types of offices have the highest suicide rates? Factors like: urban vs. rural geographic location, sky scraper vs. small building, cubicles vs. private offices, and so on. Considering that the defining characteristic about most white collar work is that you spend the majority of your time at work, I think it would be interesting.
This is more an anecdotal report than a formal study, but perhaps it sheds some light on your inquiry.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:21 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
This is more an anecdotal report than a formal study, but perhaps it sheds some light on your inquiry.
I suppose what makes the sky scraper unique is that it can be an implement to suicide as much as an environmental factor. Good to keep in mind.