Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-16-2018, 02:27 PM
SOA

Studying for MFE
College: University of Nebraska (alma mater)
Favorite beer: Captain Morgan

For those of us with transition credit for SRM, the SOA sample questions are released:

https://www.soa.org/Education/Exam-R...-exam-srm.aspx

Since this is a prerequisite to PA, all of this will be assumed and not in the modules. But from the 28 questions (yes, only 28) it doesn't look too simple. However, they appear focused on the predictive portion of the material. I was hoping VEE Applied Stats would be more helpful but there are only a couple related questions.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:05 AM
SOA

Studying for everything

Well then, we are ****ed

Looks like we'll have to study for both exams at the same time
Old 05-22-2018, 12:47 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARodOmaha View Post
For those of us with transition credit for SRM, the SOA sample questions are released:

https://www.soa.org/Education/Exam-R...-exam-srm.aspx

Since this is a prerequisite to PA, all of this will be assumed and not in the modules. But from the 28 questions (yes, only 28) it doesn't look too simple. However, they appear focused on the predictive portion of the material. I was hoping VEE Applied Stats would be more helpful but there are only a couple related questions.
That is not necessarily true. The SOA's website says "•The PA e-Learning modules provide support designed to enhance candidates’ studies from the SRM Exam and to clarify the SOA’s expectations regarding a successful PA Exam submission"

To me, this says that the modules will go over what we need to know with respect to SRM. And just because the PA exam assumes SRM knowledge, does not mean that we will be required to use it.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:05 PM
SOA

Anyone know if this is going to use R or RStudio? Want to familiarize myself with the one we're going to be using on the exam as much as possible.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:20 PM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
Anyone know if this is going to use R or RStudio? Want to familiarize myself with the one we're going to be using on the exam as much as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Syllabus which was easily found on the SOA site
The Predictive Analytics exam is administered as a five-hour project requiring analysis of a data set in the context of a business problem and submission of a report. Candidates will have access to a computer equipped with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and RStudio. The report will be submitted electronically. For additional details, please refer to Exam Rules (a link will be provided once specific rules for this assessment are established).

As outlined in the syllabus, the goal for this examination is to demonstrate the ability to employ selected analytic techniques to solve business problems and effectively communicate the solution.

Exam PA assumes knowledge of probability, mathematical statistics, and selected analytical techniques as covered in Exam P (Probability), Exam SRM (Statistics for Risk Modeling), and VEE Mathematical Statistics. Credit for Exam SRM is required for Exam PA registration. Candidates who have received transition credit for Exam SRM will be eligible to take Exam PA but should note that knowledge of Exam SRM will be assumed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androzani Major View Post
Maybe a better statement is that I enjoyed having experienced it both ways?
Old 06-08-2018, 03:45 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
Define, "easily" though... Apologies for not reading through the SOA site thoroughly enough. We all know the SOA has released very little info about what to expect on this exam.

Appreciate you answering my question. Even if it did come with some unnecessary belittling
Old 06-08-2018, 04:11 PM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
Define, "easily" though... Apologies for not reading through the SOA site thoroughly enough. We all know the SOA has released very little info about what to expect on this exam.

Appreciate you answering my question. Even if it did come with some unnecessary belittling
Sorry if it came off as belittling, it was meant more as "good-natured ribbing"... sometimes these things come across better in speech than in writing

If you go to the education and exams section of the SOA site and go to the specific page for the Predictive Analytics exam, the syllabus is in the links at the bottom. There is more info on the exam page now than there was a few weeks ago (which was the last time I checked)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androzani Major View Post
Maybe a better statement is that I enjoyed having experienced it both ways?
Old 06-08-2018, 04:27 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
Sorry if it came off as belittling, it was meant more as "good-natured ribbing"... sometimes these things come across better in speech than in writing

If you go to the education and exams section of the SOA site and go to the specific page for the Predictive Analytics exam, the syllabus is in the links at the bottom. There is more info on the exam page now than there was a few weeks ago (which was the last time I checked)
Wow. They have added a lot of info to the exam page since I last looked at it too. Didn't bother going back there to check before posting my question here. Thanks for pointing that out!

All good on the ribbing
Old 06-12-2018, 05:33 PM
SOA

I'm starting to worry about how often this will be offered. I know someone else guessed earlier in this thread that it will be at least 2 or 3 times a year. Has anyone heard anything official? All I see on SOA website is first sitting 2018 December, with no indication of second sitting.

I only ask because all I'll have left is PA exam and FAP modules (if I find out next month that I passed MLC). I can spend the rest of 2018 doing one of those two, and I'd rather not take the first sitting of PA, but if the second sitting isn't for 6 or 12 months after that, I might reevaluate.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:57 AM
SOA

Studying for PA
College: BU Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post
I'm starting to worry about how often this will be offered. I know someone else guessed earlier in this thread that it will be at least 2 or 3 times a year. Has anyone heard anything official? All I see on SOA website is first sitting 2018 December, with no indication of second sitting.

I only ask because all I'll have left is PA exam and FAP modules (if I find out next month that I passed MLC). I can spend the rest of 2018 doing one of those two, and I'd rather not take the first sitting of PA, but if the second sitting isn't for 6 or 12 months after that, I might reevaluate.
I'm in a similar boat. I recently submitted my IA and still need to round out the second half of FAP. Outside of that, however, my only remaining requirements are the APC and PA. I'm hoping to submit my FA by the end of July. If I'm fortunate enough to pass the IA, I should get results around that time and be able to knock out the APC in September or October.

I'd also rather not sit PA for the first sitting, but I feel that I don't have a choice. I'm afraid that it will be offered twice a year (summer/winter). Add that concern to a likely 12+ week grading window means that skipping on the first sitting may delay getting an ASA until the second half of 2019 (and that assumes you pass on the first attempt!).

Have you started on FAP yet? If not, I'd recommend getting through that ASAP so you can focus on the first sitting. I'm hoping to get several months of studying in, but I know materials will be sparse and little is known about the PA "modules."

FAP: 1 2 3 4 5 IA 6 7 8 FA
(Waiting for Results... FA )

VEE: Econ Finance Stats