Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Financial Mathematics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Financial Mathematics Old FM Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 02-19-2018, 01:22 PM
k3vinz k3vinz is offline
CAS SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
College: second year
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakepotock View Post
Hi all,

I just got done with exam FM. I passed!!

This is really shocking to me because i was only up to an EL 3.5 on adapt. As you could imagine, i thought the exam was going to smoke me.

It honestly wasn’t that bad though. Good luck to everyone!!
Hey just wondering which manual did you use? Also can anyone answer if the ASM FM manual is a good manual to at least learn the material from scratch ill be taking an actuarial math class in august though but will like to get ahead.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-19-2018, 07:19 PM
JimF JimF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Studying for P/1
College: M.S. University of Texas; B.S. Trinity University
Posts: 58
Default

I took it today and passed. I used Coaching Actuary online manual, two free TIA practice exams, and Actex's GOAL practice problems and exams.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-19-2018, 09:20 PM
jola.duro@uconn.edu's Avatar
jola.duro@uconn.edu jola.duro@uconn.edu is offline
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Connecticut
Studying for IFM
College: UConn
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
I took it today and passed. I used Coaching Actuary online manual, two free TIA practice exams, and Actex's GOAL practice problems and exams.
Congrats!!!(: I take it Saturday and I can't raise my 5.9 EL for the life of me): it's really discouraging ): what EL did you have going in today, if you don't mind me asking. Do you think CA or TIA was closest to exam's difficulty? Any last minute advice for me?! anything would help I'm really freaking out
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-19-2018, 09:28 PM
Actuarial Exams Actuarial Exams is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jola.duro@uconn.edu View Post
Congrats!!!(: I take it Saturday and I can't raise my 5.9 EL for the life of me): it's really discouraging ): what EL did you have going in today, if you don't mind me asking. Do you think CA or TIA was closest to exam's difficulty? Any last minute advice for me?! anything would help I'm really freaking out
Don't worry. ADAPT problems are harder than the real exam problems.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-19-2018, 09:36 PM
jola.duro@uconn.edu's Avatar
jola.duro@uconn.edu jola.duro@uconn.edu is offline
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Connecticut
Studying for IFM
College: UConn
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuarial Exams View Post
Don't worry. ADAPT problems are harder than the real exam problems.
Thank you that makes me feel slightly better. Congrats again(:

smh so sorry thought you were JimF

Last edited by jola.duro@uconn.edu; 02-19-2018 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: because I apparently can't read *facepalm*
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-21-2018, 08:58 PM
jola.duro@uconn.edu's Avatar
jola.duro@uconn.edu jola.duro@uconn.edu is offline
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Connecticut
Studying for IFM
College: UConn
Posts: 11
Default Feb 2018 sitting Saturday!!

anyone else taken the exam yet?! I'm sort of freaking out. I'm 3 days away (I sit on Sat) and I'm on 7.4 EL on adapt but did another practice today to try to raise it and got 23/35 which isn't 71% and I'm just really worried. Feel like a headless chicken-- Idk what to do with myself, how to study and what to study anymore who else is sitting soon, what are you doing for last min prep?!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-23-2018, 12:37 PM
mdeff's Avatar
mdeff mdeff is offline
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Studying for IFM
College: Ohio State Alumni
Favorite beer: Root
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jola.duro@uconn.edu View Post
who else is sitting soon, what are you doing for last min prep?!
I passed yesterday with a 7.4 EL. My last minute strategy was to do custom exams at an easier EL to boost my confidence. I also did quizzes based on my weak spots given by the section reports.

Best of luck tomorrow on the exam.
__________________
How to explain actuarial exams to someone else ...

........
P FM IFM SRM LTAM STAM PA
VEE: Econ Finance Stats
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-23-2018, 12:52 PM
polak001djkk polak001djkk is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1
Default

For those who have taken the FM in February or recently. What would you say is the breakdown by each section? Is it evenly spread across them or one section that is heavily weighted/asked while another that has just 1-2 questions.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-23-2018, 03:40 PM
jola.duro@uconn.edu's Avatar
jola.duro@uconn.edu jola.duro@uconn.edu is offline
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Connecticut
Studying for IFM
College: UConn
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeff View Post
I passed yesterday with a 7.4 EL. My last minute strategy was to do custom exams at an easier EL to boost my confidence. I also did quizzes based on my weak spots given by the section reports.

Best of luck tomorrow on the exam.
Omg, CONGRATS!!!(: What would you say the difficulty level of your exam was? I have done 4 of the TIA exams and have been scoring well on them, did you work on those at all? If so, would you say ADAPT or TIA is closest to exam difficulty? So sorry for the million questions, I'm just very nervous ....congrats again!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-26-2018, 12:18 PM
mdeff's Avatar
mdeff mdeff is offline
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Studying for IFM
College: Ohio State Alumni
Favorite beer: Root
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jola.duro@uconn.edu View Post
What would you say the difficulty level of your exam was? I have done 4 of the TIA exams and have been scoring well on them, did you work on those at all? If so, would you say ADAPT or TIA is closest to exam difficulty? So sorry for the million questions, I'm just very nervous ....congrats again!
Sorry for not getting back to you before your exam hopefully all went well. But I didn't use TIA, I only used ADAPT and I would say around 5-6 was the true level of the exam. Hopefully your nervousness was for naught and you passed.
__________________
How to explain actuarial exams to someone else ...

........
P FM IFM SRM LTAM STAM PA
VEE: Econ Finance Stats
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 1.24959 seconds with 9 queries