Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Health - Disability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 11-09-2017, 08:17 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Default How does this Medicare Advantage PPO work?

It's a retiree medical advantage plan that's available to eligible employees of one of my former employers. I am eligible.

Statements from their description (numbering mine to refer to them later):
1. This plan also gives you the option to see non-network providers typically
at the same cost level. NOTE: Non-network providers do have the right to
not accept your PPO plan for non-emergency care. Please check with your
providers prior to enrolling in the PPO plan.
2. Out-of-network providers are paid what they would have been
paid under Original Medicare.
3. Out-of-network providers do have the right to not accept the
PPO plan for non-emergency care.
4. Out-of-network providers are allowed to “balance bill” the
health plan for excess charges above the Medicare fee
assignment. UnitedHealthcare will pay these charges. You
are only responsible to pay your copayment or coinsurance.

2 & 4 sound contradictory to me. 4 seems to say they'll pay whatever the provider charges. 2 seems to say they'll pay Original Medicare amounts. What's going on?

That carries over a some to 3. If a provider will only get Original Medicare reimbursements, then perhaps I need to be concerned about ones who aren't in-Network. Those doctors may be willing to accept Original Medicare amounts, in which case they'll treat me and their non-network status doesn't matter. But if they're going to get their standard charges even if higher than Medicare, is there any recent any Provider wouldn't treat me?
Old 11-09-2017, 09:12 PM
SOA

This does seem really confusing.

I don't have any specific knowledge, but my guess is that #4 only means "the member isn't responsible for balance billing", which may not be equal to "UNH will pay whatever balance bill the OON provider sends them".

I suspect that there are probably cases where UNH pays less than the balance billed charges (based on UCR, negotiation, or whatever), which could be what leads to #3.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:12 AM

I thought non-PAR providers have to accept 100% of Medicare for Medicare eligible folks if they choose to be a Medicare provider so I'm not sure what 4 is referring to (unless it's for those that don't want to participate).
Old 11-10-2017, 08:17 AM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnatikid View Post
This does seem really confusing.

I don't have any specific knowledge, but my guess is that #4 only means "the member isn't responsible for balance billing", which may not be equal to "UNH will pay whatever balance bill the OON provider sends them".

I suspect that there are probably cases where UNH pays less than the balance billed charges (based on UCR, negotiation, or whatever), which could be what leads to #3.
Maybe they will pay only the part of the balance bill that brings reimbursement up to what Medicare would pay. Not sure how that squares with premium pricing based on lower negotiated payments, though.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve White View Post
It's a retiree medical advantage plan that's available to eligible employees of one of my former employers. I am eligible.

Statements from their description (numbering mine to refer to them later):
1. This plan also gives you the option to see non-network providers typically
at the same cost level. NOTE: Non-network providers do have the right to
not accept your PPO plan for non-emergency care. Please check with your
providers prior to enrolling in the PPO plan.
2. Out-of-network providers are paid what they would have been
paid under Original Medicare.
3. Out-of-network providers do have the right to not accept the
PPO plan for non-emergency care.
4. Out-of-network providers are allowed to “balance bill” the
health plan for excess charges above the Medicare fee
assignment. UnitedHealthcare will pay these charges. You
are only responsible to pay your copayment or coinsurance.

2 & 4 sound contradictory to me. 4 seems to say they'll pay whatever the provider charges. 2 seems to say they'll pay Original Medicare amounts. What's going on?

That carries over a some to 3. If a provider will only get Original Medicare reimbursements, then perhaps I need to be concerned about ones who aren't in-Network. Those doctors may be willing to accept Original Medicare amounts, in which case they'll treat me and their non-network status doesn't matter. But if they're going to get their standard charges even if higher than Medicare, is there any recent any Provider wouldn't treat me?
United is very large company. They also have many product lines including MA. While their networks may be the same, I suspect that they do not overlap completely. However, it is conceivable that they have language in their provider contracts in one line that gives them some leverage in the other lines. They are also big enough that they have some real negotiating power for their members on the balance billing part and are probably able to convince many providers to accept a lower reimbursement. While the paying of the balance bill may seem like altruism, my guess is having to pay on a balance bill makes members upset which would drive down United's star ratings. I'm guessing the higher star ratings more then compensate for added claims cost. I'm also guessing that United has a pretty large network for their MA product which would also limit their liability.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:44 AM
SOA

OON Providers will be paid Traditional Medicare
Some OON Providers will ask for more money than that, but you needn't worry. We'll handle that.

imo
I was going to fire Comey knowing, there was no good time to do it. And in fact when I decided to just do it, I said to myself, I said you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made up story
Old 11-10-2017, 10:49 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

MA is still mysterious to me but the idea is "hey, our contracting, analytics, and ability to acquire CMS funds is so good we can give you better benefits than Medicare and still make a profit"

in other words, lol @ single payer

I digress. I assume that the network is not as comprehensive and there are probably utilization controls out the ying. But the cost is usually very low for retirees. I"m unsure if MA premiums are payable from an HSA but I think so.

Exams or whatever
Old 11-10-2017, 02:16 PM
SOA

Studying for GH Advanced
College: SUNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve White View Post
But if they're going to get their standard charges even if higher than Medicare, is there any recent any Provider wouldn't treat me?
Because the provider has to go through the process of balance billing and collecting that difference from United for every claim. It may not be cost-effective or may be unfeasible for them to do that.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:21 PM
SOA

Studying for GH Advanced
College: SUNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
OON Providers will be paid Traditional Medicare
Some OON Providers will ask for more money than that, but you needn't worry. We'll handle that.

imo

1 says you can go to any OON doctor that will take you. 2 says here is what United will pay that doctor. 3 says that the OON doc has the right not to see you for non-emergency care. 4 details the situation in which the provider might want more than United is willing to pay and reinforces that you pay the same via 1.

that's my interpretation
Old 11-10-2017, 02:27 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
MA is still mysterious to me but the idea is "hey, our contracting, analytics, and ability to acquire CMS funds is so good we can give you better benefits than Medicare and still make a profit"

in other words, lol @ single payer

I digress. I assume that the network is not as comprehensive and there are probably utilization controls out the ying. But the cost is usually very low for retirees. I"m unsure if MA premiums are payable from an HSA but I think so.
We could still have a single payer system that is administered by the companies to preserve the efficiency gains of the marketplace.

In other words, MA for everyone.
I was going to fire Comey knowing, there was no good time to do it. And in fact when I decided to just do it, I said to myself, I said you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made up story