Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 11-14-2017, 05:25 PM
CAS

Studying for IFM
College: Saint Joseph's
Favorite beer: Einstok
Default Advice for Taking Two Exams Concurrently/Other Questions

Hi!

I am currently a college senior. I passed P over the summer, but I am having difficulty finding interviews and job opportunities with only one exam (obviousy, I know, but I am). I initially planned to take FM in December (I did not pass in October), but I've been so swamped with school stuff and work that I missed the registration deadline for December. Anyway...I am going to take FM in February, so I have ample time to re-study and prepare, but this leads me to a couple of questions:

1. Do you think it would be too difficult to take MFE in March? I think I would have time to prepare for it, but I'm worried preparing for two exams at once is too daunting, but having three would make it much easier to find an entry-level actuarial job.

2. If I only have two exams passed at the time of graduation, do you think it'll be difficult to find a job as an analyst? It seems like nowadays, three is more ideal than two, but I have other things on my resume that help offset that I'll only have two exams (coding experience, leaderships abilities, etc.).

3. Would it be better (at this point) to begin looking for other insurance-related jobs and then take my time on exams more? I've been faced with my hardest semester in school so far this year (though I am keeping my grades up) but grades seem to not be the most significant factor when evaluating an actuarial applicant's resume. I have considered looking into underwriting and/or business analysis to start & then continue passing exams on my own in hopes of eventually transferring into an actuarial department, preferably without changing companies, but if necessary, I would switch companies.

I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone has to offer me and should someone prefer to message me privately regarding advice, I would be more than happy to respond.

I greatly appreciate any advice and guidance you have to offer in advance! Thank you.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:41 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Some people take two exams and pass, but their situation is different from yours.

I think two exams is enough to find a job.

I think you should look for all jobs - not necessarily insurance-related. Most of the big companies have filled their positions by this point.

I don't think you should double up on exams - I don't see any pressing need for you to do so, and, honestly, I don't know if you'd be successful based off of what you've said above.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:16 AM
SOA

Studying for MFE
College: University of Nebraska (alma mater)
Favorite beer: Captain Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivamS View Post
Some people take two exams and pass, but their situation is different from yours.

I think two exams is enough to find a job.

I think you should look for all jobs - not necessarily insurance-related. Most of the big companies have filled their positions by this point.

I don't think you should double up on exams - I don't see any pressing need for you to do so, and, honestly, I don't know if you'd be successful based off of what you've said above.
I second that opinion. I was a teacher-turned-analyst and prepared for exams while doing other jobs. As soon as I hit two exams I started applying and got a job right away.

The best advice is to focus on what is going on presently and do it well. Doesn't matter what you are doing right now, just do the best you can and put it on your resume. Employers look for someone who can excel, not someone who checks all the boxes. So focus on school and do one exam at a time.