Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 02-13-2018, 10:59 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
yeah i feel like you really had to know your sh*t to pass the exam i got today, and the SOA 307 was not enough. some of the questions weren't hard, but asked in very strange ways. i didn't get a single standard chi square Q where you look up the value on the table, but i did get a question on chi-square asked in a very strange way. that question was actually one of the easier ones, but it was just a weird problem, like what was the point of this?
I would highly recommend the ASM study manual. There are 13 practice exams that come with it and it covers just about every short of twist and trick they can through at you. With the exam I took there were only two questions I hadn't seen at least something similar to before, one of which was doable just with the knowledge acquired by doing the practice questions from the manual.

I have used ASM for all four of the exams I passed and I have never sat in an exam surprised.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:41 AM
SOA

Studying for MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
yeah i feel like you really had to know your sh*t to pass the exam i got today, and the SOA 307 was not enough. some of the questions weren't hard, but asked in very strange ways. i didn't get a single standard chi square Q where you look up the value on the table, but i did get a question on chi-square asked in a very strange way. that question was actually one of the easier ones, but it was just a weird problem, like what was the point of this?
I got something like that too. The wording was just weird. And I was already thrown off by the other BS questions.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:14 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for Predictive Analytics& FAP
College: Roosevelt University Alumnus '10
Favorite beer: Jawa Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by suryD View Post
I got something like that too. The wording was just weird. And I was already thrown off by the other BS questions.
I guess I got lucky, no "BS" questions
Advanced:FAP, PA
Seminar: APC
Old 02-13-2018, 12:53 PM
SOA AAA

College: Davidson College

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamka View Post
I guess I got lucky, no "BS" questions
I believe that after taking Mahler exams, most other problems seem straightforward in comparison. If I just did Adapt and SOA 307 problems, I definitely would not have been to exposed to some of the problems I encountered on the exam.

Ultimately, seeing many different types of problems (especially ones that are harder than the exam) develops the ability to see the different things you can solve for with certain pieces of given information.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:27 PM
CAS SOA

College: Alumni - George Washington University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adapt and Chill View Post
I believe that after taking Mahler exams, most other problems seem straightforward in comparison. If I just did Adapt and SOA 307 problems, I definitely would not have been to exposed to some of the problems I encountered on the exam.

Ultimately, seeing many different types of problems (especially ones that are harder than the exam) develops the ability to see the different things you can solve for with certain pieces of given information.
Having taken Exam C 4 times...I agree. I definitely got a few less of the totally obscure questions this sitting, compared to my second and third attempts. (Obscure meaning the topics you wouldn't anticipate, weird wording, or something that looks totally foreign even after months of studying.)

That being said, Mahler definitely prepared me for the ones I did see. It also helped me to approach questions that were worded oddly. I would think "Crap, I need X and they only gave me Z! But...if I use Z to get Y, I can use Y to get X!"

I think the SOA 307 were also helpful, but only to a point. Mahler pushes you over the edge.
I have a longer post of how my approach changed over the 4 attempts in the February thread if anyone wants more on that.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:30 PM
SOA

OK I'll try Mahler, sounds like it's a useful resource. Don't feel like getting ADAPT it seems pretty useless to me. I'll also review some things in TIA, there were definitely quite a few things that I wasn't expecting to be on the exam that I got questions on.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:45 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC

Yeah I'm going for Mahler as well.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:11 PM
CAS

College: 1st year

I, too, shall drop by here to endorse Mahler. Wording-wise, Mahler questions are not similar to SOA questions, but Mahler really helps you deconstruct the questions so you know the pieces of the question by part. Mahler would take already-difficult SOA307 questions and withhold important information so you're forced to truly understand how to, to quote another user, "use Y to get X, use X to get Z"

Even for my exam, more than half my exam required me to deconstruct formulas to derive parts I need or presented information in a REALLY weird way. But after doing all the Mahler exams, I saw exactly what the exam was trying to do.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:17 PM
SOA

College: AU
Favorite beer: bankston 88

just to clarify, is everyone endorsing mahler's PEs or his manual?

Old 02-13-2018, 02:54 PM
SOA AAA

College: Davidson College

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_Vandelay View Post
just to clarify, is everyone endorsing mahler's PEs or his manual?
I can't offer any insight about the manual, I just used ASM. Most people here are referring to the practice exams.