Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions



Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-16-2018, 03:09 PM
Nancy S. Nancy S. is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27
Default Coming Soon: NEW ASM Manual for IFM

New ASM manual coming soon for Exam IFM featuring Study+. Available at ACTEX & The Actuarial Bookstore.

Last edited by Nancy S.; 01-24-2018 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-16-2018, 07:53 PM
andycole001 andycole001 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2013
Studying for STAM
College: Ohio U (Alumni)
Posts: 52
Default

yay!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-22-2018, 03:09 PM
RedSoxJSS RedSoxJSS is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: New York, NY
Studying for Exam FM/2
Favorite beer: Corona
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy S. View Post
New ASM manual coming soon for Exam IFM featuring Study+. Available exclusively at ACTEX & The Actuarial Bookstore.
When can we expect this to be published and available for purchase?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-24-2018, 11:08 AM
Nancy S. Nancy S. is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27
Thumbs up New ASM Manual for ISM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxJSS View Post
When can we expect this to be published and available for purchase?
The ASM author is currently working on the manual for Exam IFM. We expect
to get a better idea of when it should be available soon. In the meantime,
preliminary estimates are that the material should be completed in the first
half of March, if not sooner.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-13-2018, 02:56 PM
Nancy S. Nancy S. is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27
Post ASM manual for IFM is now available as a partial release!

The ASM manual for IFM is now available as a partial release!

First Release (NOW AVAILABLE): approximately half of the finished manual comprised of all material previously covered in the MFE exam.
Delivered to all customers in (DRM) digital format.
• 6-Month Digital Licenses - NO Printing
• 12-Month Digital Licenses (including as part of Bundles) - 30% printing only
• Printed Manuals - 60-day Access, 30% printing only

Second Release (Available 3/5/18*): second half of the main manual includes the new material for exam IFM.
• Printed manual & Bundle orders shipping to a US address will receive a PRINTED copy of all of the IFM manual content from both releases so far.
• Digital Manual, Printed Manual (shipping to addresses OUTSIDE the US) & Bundle orders will receive (DRM) digital format with access for 6m or 12m, depending upon purchase.
•6-Month Digital Licenses - NO Printing
•12-Month Digital Licenses (including as part of Bundles) - 30% printing only
•Printed Manual orders shipping to addresses OUTSIDE the US- 60-day Access, 30% printing only

Final Release (Available 4/10/18*): five practice exams for exam IFM
Digital Manual Customers will have (DRM) digital format with access (6m or 12m, depending upon purchase)
•6-Month Digital Licenses - NO Printing
•12-Month Digital Licenses (including as part of Bundles) - 30% printing only
• Printed manual customers shipping to a US address will receive a copy of the printed practice exams at this time.
• Printed manual orders shipping to addresses OUTSIDE the US will be sent a complete printed manual at this time.

*Approximate release dates
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-06-2018, 04:41 PM
ngxxx081's Avatar
ngxxx081 ngxxx081 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 113
Default

I found an older MFE ASM manual at work. It is 8th edition (not sure which printing, but released 2010). Professor Weishaus on his website does provide a helpful resource on navigating pre-9th edition manuals for this test. Will there be any value to this edition when MFE becomes IFM? I understand there is a significant change to the syllabus, but I just want to make sure. I am not a part of my company's study program so no support and I am trying lessen the financial burden of exam resources where I can. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-07-2018, 10:22 AM
Nancy S. Nancy S. is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngxxx081 View Post
I found an older MFE ASM manual at work. It is 8th edition (not sure which printing, but released 2010). Professor Weishaus on his website does provide a helpful resource on navigating pre-9th edition manuals for this test. Will there be any value to this edition when MFE becomes IFM? I understand there is a significant change to the syllabus, but I just want to make sure. I am not a part of my company's study program so no support and I am trying lessen the financial burden of exam resources where I can. Thanks.
While Professor Weishaus does include a bit of guidance on how one might navigate studying using a pre-9th edition of the ASM Manual for MFE, please note that he also writes, "The syllabus changed for July 2017, so 9th edition and earlier is not advised." He goes on to explain that you would need content from an Exam FM Study Manual in combination with the relevant sections of the older MFE manual to cover exam objectives. Customers generally find that piecing together a study manual of their own, derived from bits and pieces of other study tools, wastes precious study time! Not to mention that the chances of missing content and practice questions on critical topics is extremely likely. The benefits of investing in a newly updated manual specifically written for the 2018 Exam IFM far outweigh any savings that might come from the much riskier approach and using such an outdated copy of the MFE manual.
Best of luck,
Nancy"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-07-2018, 03:14 PM
ngxxx081's Avatar
ngxxx081 ngxxx081 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy S. View Post
While Professor Weishaus does include a bit of guidance on how one might navigate studying using a pre-9th edition of the ASM Manual for MFE, please note that he also writes, "The syllabus changed for July 2017, so 9th edition and earlier is not advised." He goes on to explain that you would need content from an Exam FM Study Manual in combination with the relevant sections of the older MFE manual to cover exam objectives. Customers generally find that piecing together a study manual of their own, derived from bits and pieces of other study tools, wastes precious study time! Not to mention that the chances of missing content and practice questions on critical topics is extremely likely. The benefits of investing in a newly updated manual specifically written for the 2018 Exam IFM far outweigh any savings that might come from the much riskier approach and using such an outdated copy of the MFE manual.
Best of luck,
Nancy"
Thank you, your point is well-valid and much appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-17-2018, 04:04 PM
nd13 nd13 is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
College: Florida State University
Posts: 3
Default IFM Manual Status

Is the complete IFM Manual (or at least the second release) from ASM available for purchase? I can't find anything on the actex or asm website about the different stage releases and if I can buy the complete version. I'm using the MFE asm manual right now to study the basics but I want to study from the IFM manual as soon as possible.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-17-2018, 04:45 PM
ngxxx081's Avatar
ngxxx081 ngxxx081 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd13 View Post
Is the complete IFM Manual (or at least the second release) from ASM available for purchase? I can't find anything on the actex or asm website about the different stage releases and if I can buy the complete version. I'm using the MFE asm manual right now to study the basics but I want to study from the IFM manual as soon as possible.
Manual is now available in its entirety.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.46978 seconds with 9 queries