Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Health - Disability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 06-07-2018, 05:56 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

Well that should solve it. I'm going home early.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:47 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie frazier View Post
identifying the issues definitely seems like the hard part here. solutions should come easily from there.
Are we out of red font again?

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:19 AM

Why does it seem like every egomaniac thinks the only thing missing from "solving" healthcare in the united states is their involvement.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:06 AM
SOA

Amazon's customer service is better than those big health insurers. Bring more competition to the health insurance industry is good to consumers.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:48 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Talking point 1, check
Talking point 2, check
Talking point 3, check
Talking point 4, check
Talking point 5, check
"And to wrap things up, uhhhm Big Data?" Talking point 6, check

Nailed it.
Here seems to be the article Sredni is reacting to:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/hunt-...124300297.html

Quote:
The hunt is over. Buffett, Dimon and Bezos found the person they want to fix health care

Spoiler:
Berkshire Hathaway CEO Warren Buffett, J.P. Morgan CEO Jamie Dimon and Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos have chosen a CEO for their health-care venture.
The group will likely reveal who that person is within two weeks.
The three business icons announced in January they would partner to tackle rising health-care costs.

Berkshire Hathaway BRK.A CEO Warren Buffett, J.P. Morgan JPM CEO Jamie Dimon and Amazon AMZN CEO Jeff Bezos have chosen a CEO for their health-care venture and will likely reveal who that person is within two weeks, Buffett told CNBC on Thursday.

The trio announced in January they would partner to tackle rising health-care costs. Warren Buffett said Thursday they've picked a leader and are "just tidying up a couple of things."

In an interview with CNBC's Becky Quick, Buffett and Jamie Dimon praised their incoming leader and acknowledged the daunting task ahead.

Health-care experts have expressed skepticism on whether the three, while business icons, could simplify the current system. Most agree there's plenty of costs to cut, but they doubt the companies can do it.

The interesting thing when interviewing job candidates, Buffett said, was they didn't run into one that "didn't think significant improvement was both possible and important."

"It isn't like there's anybody out there that's connected with the system that thinks we've already arrived at nirvana, and they know how difficult the job will be to make major changes," Buffett said. "They're all cheering for us to succeed.

"A number of them might not have wanted to be the one to help us succeed ... but nobody disagreed with the mission, the importance of it or the feasibility," Buffett said. "But it's also a very, very tough nut to crack, and it's going to take significant time. We've got the right person."

As CNBC has reported, Todd Combs, an investment manager at Berkshire, has been the lead recruiter for the venture, tasked with the tall order of finding a leader who can work across three companies with a combined 1.2 million employees and simultaneously help develop innovative solutions in a multitrillion-dollar industry. Layered on that, any candidate would have the pressure of the high-profile nature of this gig as well as the weight of working under these three business leaders.

Where to focus efforts

Buffett, Dimon and Bezos haven't outlined how exactly they plan to lower health-care costs. Dimon gave a bit more detail Thursday on where they could focus their efforts.

"This is a long-term thing," Dimon said. "We're not looking for immediate success, but there are a lot of ideas out there. There are a lot of things that can be done better. We know the fraud, the administrative costs, we know overuse and underuse of various drugs and specialized procedures. We know the end of life often costs far more than it should and is far more painful than it should be, and with big data, there's so many things to do."

Some employees have asked Dimon what the partnership means for them. His response: "We're just going to try to do it better."

"And you should expect we're going to do it the right way with the same kind of heart we've had before, which will improve your lives and improve your wellness, improve the outcomes, give you more choice, which I believe you if you do all those things, it will effectively be cheaper," he said. "And you'll have much healthier employees."

These three companies aren't the first to take on rising health-care costs. Many have tried unsuccessfully over the years on their own or through alliances. Even Walmart WMT , the nation's largest private employer, hasn't been able to change the system.

Ana Gupte, senior health care services analyst at Leerink Partners, told CNBC's "Squawk Box" the industry is convinced the trio can be disruptive. She pointed to Cigna, whose CEO David Cordani told CNBC in March he'd spoken to two of the three leaders.

"I don't think they have a blueprint yet" Gupte said. "And simultaneously, in parallel of anything, it's catalyzed a lot of change in event-driven investing opportunities in the public space and what private equity is doing."

LinkedIn Profile
Old 06-10-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK1984 View Post
Why does it seem like every egomaniac thinks the only thing missing from "solving" healthcare in the united states is their involvement.
True for the general case of X, as well as for the specific case of X = "healthcare in the United States". I mean, what do you think it means to be an "egomaniac"?
Old 06-11-2018, 02:46 PM
SOA

College: UW Whitewater
Favorite beer: FFF GBH/NG Moon Man

If its not a DTNF, FormLetter, Erosewater (I am missing a few others, sorry) then they got the wrong person IMO.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:23 PM
SOA AAA

CEO named
It'll be so easy I'll keep all my other gigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Gawande will start July 9. He currently practices general and endocrine surgery at Brigham and Women's Hospital and is a professor at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and Harvard Medical School.

He is founding executive director of Ariadne Labs, a health systems innovation center. He's also written numerous books, including "Being Mortal" and "The Checklist Manifesto."

Gawande will transition to chairman of Ariadne Labs from executive director, the organization said in a press release. He will not give up his positions at Harvard or Brigham and Women's Hospital and will keep writing, including for The New Yorker.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:10 AM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Grondin View Post
CEO named
It'll be so easy I'll keep all my other gigs.
yup. if we could just get 8 hours a week from one really smart person this thing would have the leadership it needs.

General info at www.ctf.org

Team donation page here.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM

Actuaries have had their chance to get health care right for well over 20 years now. Let's let GaWande have a try.