Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:16 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basso View Post
Question: don't changes to the standards get published for public comment before they are adopted? It seems to me the best argument related to diffusing anti-trust concerns is that (assuming there is public comment prior to adoption) the group that met behind closed doors cannot implement changes to any standards without public scrutiny.

Perhaps I am wrong about this. At any rate, at a recent CAS event, one of the ASB board members encouraged anyone interested in the process to attend a meeting. Something tells me that if I wrote to the AAA, said I was interested in the process and would like to attend a meeting where they are discussing something relevant to the CAS, could I attend, I'd likely get the okay. No way to tell for sure though, since I am nowhere near any meeting site.
They have always done so in the past. Whether they plan to change that, too, seems important. But i tend to agree that so long as the overall process is open, I don't think I need every hour of it to be open.

Oh, and I just got a letter from Karen Smith this week
Old 05-18-2018, 06:30 PM
SOA CCA AAA ASPPA

Studying for ASPPA CPC
College: UT 1990
Default Total discretion

Thanks for your post Basso. Under the new policy, the ASB has discretion to adopt standards with no public scrutiny. There is typically an exposure period, but the ASB is not required to make changes based upon that input. They can just include a statement in the final adopted standard that they do not agree with the comment. And now the final discussion and vote is behind closed doors.

I would have guessed that I would have bern admitted to observe meetings up and until I was denied access. You canít have a test baed upon peopleís motives because you never know peoplesí motives. The Academy may attribute nefarious motives to you and you will have no way to appeal.

This action was taken by the Academy board - I truly donít know to what extent the ASB requested or protested this change. If you can go to the meetings (you can afford the travel cost, can invest the time and are allowed by the ASB to attend), you absolutely should attend. I just think anyone willing to follow the rules about not being disruptive should be afforded the same opportunity.

Tags
academy, asb, coq, sunrise, sunset, sunshine