Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:44 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Academy This Week:

Quote:
Updated Board and Committee Meetings Policy

Last month the Academy Board of Directors revised the Academy’s meeting policy. This week, the Academy provided additional information for members. Academy meetings have not been “closed.” Rather, it gives officers and committee chairs the tools they need to protect the integrity of the Academy process.

Over the past 18 months, certain observers have used the Board and Committee Meetings Policy to engage in conduct to chill discussions and debates at the ASB and other Academy committees. In one case, an observer has insisted on attending committee and Board meetings despite threatening legal action against the Academy. Read more about the policy and the reasons for it here.
The "here" is the link L Mo put up earlier:
http://www.actuary.org/content/updat...tings-policy-1

Quote:
February 12, 2018
Last month the Academy Board of Directors revised the Academy’s meeting policy. (See the news entry from Jan. 31, 2018, here.) The revised policy has one overarching aim—to empower committee and board chairpersons to do their jobs as effectively as possible. The purpose of all Academy meetings is to further the mission of the Academy. It is imperative that chairs have the tools they need to protect the integrity of the Academy process. This is especially critical for those groups responsible for establishing, maintaining, and enforcing our professionalism standards. Meetings of committees and other Academy bodies—other than those of a few committees that have always been closed—remain open to observation provided the observer is deemed to be helpful to the work of the committee. A link to the policy is here.

Why did the Board make this change now? Over the last 18 months, certain observers have used the Board and Committee Meetings Policy to engage in conduct that has tended to chill discussions and debates at the ASB and other Academy committees. In one case, an observer has insisted on attending committee and Board meetings despite threatening legal action against the Academy. The Board responded appropriately by striking a balance between transparency, which has always been important to the Academy, the need to protect the independence and objectivity of all Academy bodies, and the need of those committees to have a robust deliberative process with free and frank exchanges of ideas. The revised policy does precisely that by giving officers and chairpersons the freedom to admit observers who will be helpful to their respective committees while at the same time giving them the necessary tools to protect the committees’ work.

The Academy is aware that an actuary has begun a campaign to enlist members in a petition drive to amend the Academy bylaws to reverse the Board’s decision. For more information about the reasons for this petition campaign, please also see this letter to the actuary’s attorney about the nature and basis of her requests.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 02-16-2018, 04:50 PM
CAS

For the sake of argument let's assume Ms. Smith is disruptive, doesn't the legal response's 2nd paragraph (note IANAL) essentially ban her from meetings? (PDF is protected, cannot copy and paste here)

If not, can't they just ban her and still keep meetings open?
Old 02-16-2018, 04:59 PM
SOA CCA AAA ASPPA

Studying for ASPPA CPC
College: UT 1990
Default Yep, they got me good!

Yes, the AAA got me good. They posted an ugly letter without any of the other correspondence or any support for their accusations. I have been called worse than unhinged before...no big deal...I knew what I was getting into when I started this...

But, a couple of things to think about:

1. The first time I went or requested to go to an ASB meeting was November 2017, so this is not all about me.
2. But, letís assume I am unhinged for discussion purposes and additionally a huge pain. SO WHAT? It is not rational to close meetings to almost 20000 members and the public because one person wants to go to the meeting. If one person is a problem, you deal with that.

Over the weekend, I will post all of the correspondence on ASBCoQsunshine.com -all the emails and letters so those who want to can make a judgment about who is unhinged: the ED of AAA or me. Heck, you might decide we both are...😀
Old 02-23-2018, 10:33 AM
SOA CCA AAA ASPPA

Studying for ASPPA CPC

I am still looking for a few emails, but I have posted correspondence on ASBCoQsunshine.com at this link:http://asbcoqsunshine.com/letters/ As I write and find more correspondence, I will post them. Not nearly exciting as the missing FBI texts, wikileaks, etc. but feel free to read.

The important issue is not me or any other single individual - it is the integrity of the actuarial standard setting process. The process needs to be transparent.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:38 AM
SOA CCA AAA ASPPA

Studying for ASPPA CPC

Latest post: http://asbcoqsunshine.com/break-the-ice/

Here is the text: Break the Ice...

Without notice or input from members, the American Academy of Actuaries’ Board of Directors closed Actuarial Standards Board (‘ASB’) meetings to observers unless the ASB chairs approves the observer’s attendance. The first reason that the Academy offered for this change was:

Quote:
Why did the Board make this change now? Over the last 18 months, certain observers have used the Board and Committee Meetings Policy to engage in conduct that has tended to chill discussions and debates at the ASB and other Academy committees.
This left many of us wondering what was the “chilling” behavior? We know the issue is not disruptive behavior because the ASB had the authority to remove disruptive individuals. There were whispers that the issue was the summaries that some ASB meeting attendees prepared and shared as if somehow the mere existence of these summaries was somehow chilling.

Well, today Steve Alpert, the President of the Academy came out and made it clear that the policy change was more motivated by quashing dissent than any chill on deliberations. Steve said the following in the SOA Linkedin group:

Quote:
Those who want to observe discussions at the ASB to write about them in order to generate negative feedback on proposals that they don’t like is the crux of this question.
Wow. Now, that is chilling. If someone says or writes something that the Academy does not like, he will be barred from future meetings. And, for good measure, the Academy will ban all observers unless the Academy can be certain that the observer agrees with the Academy view or will sign a confidentiality agreement.

But, what is even more perplexing is the absence of actual negative articles about ASB meetings. If there is something negative about the ASB in the article I wrote for the ACOPA Monthly, someone needs to point it out to me. I meant for the article to be positive and educational. I am not aware that anyone contacted the ASB with negative feedback due to this article.

I have read the ASB and ASB pension committee meetings notes available on the CCA website and they are extremely neutral. The subject matter at the ASB meetings he attended was difficult and that comes through in the summaries, but I do not detect that the author is trying to generate any negative feedback. In these summaries, the deliberations were decidedly not chilly. And, maybe that is the Academy’s real problem. The summaries show that ASB Pension Committee members do not agree with the ASB directive to draft certain language. Members of the profession and public are entitled to know that. It does not mean the ASB will change its mind, but there is no need to hide disagreements like this from the public. The Academy trying to hide and eliminate dissent undermines the standard setting process.

The Academy is supposed to be the champion of actuarial professionalism – the model of integrity. But, instead of tackling hard issues like the meeting policy with facts and frank discussion, the Academy hides its motives. Instead of self-righteously questioning the motives of anyone who wants to attend the ASB meetings, the Academy needs to do what is right. Open the ASB meetings to the profession and the public. Restore transparency.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:08 PM
CAS

Here comes the sun
Old 02-23-2018, 12:17 PM
SOA CCA AAA ASPPA

Studying for ASPPA CPC

Love it!! But, even not "normal" actuaries should be able to observe ASB meetings as long as they behave themselves.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:11 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

http://www.actuarialstandardsboard.o...re.Feb2018.pdf

Quote:
Academy Adopts Revised Meetings Policy
The American Academy of Actuaries recently updated its meetings policy, which can be
reviewed here. If anyone is interested in attending an ASB meeting, please review the Board
and Committee Meetings Policy and contact Erica Kennedy at kennedy@actuary.org with
your request to attend at least 10 days before the meeting

LinkedIn Profile
Old 02-27-2018, 05:46 PM
CAS

Well, this:
Quote:
Why does having observers prevent frank and robust discussion?
Is a dumb question. I've certainly been in meetings where the presence of Someone with an extreme opinion interfered with frank and robust discussion. I suspect that most politicians deal with "sunshine" laws by "cheating", and talking one-on-one with other interested parties.

But I agree with most of the rest of what you've written. These seem like discussion that ought to be open to the public. And if some portion of the public is disruptive, that portion can be asked to be silent, or to leave. Everyone else ought to be welcome.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:03 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.

Tags
academy, asb, coq, sunrise, sunset, sunshine