Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 3/MLC - Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:56 AM
SOA

Default Written Answers Rounding

Written question one from the spring 2017 exam asks you to calculate a probability and round to the nearest .01, however, the answer they provide rounds to the nearest .0001. They then use this solution to answer the next question.

If a question asks you to round to a specific place or decimal place should you not follow that and use that solution for the remainder of the problem, or is this not weighted that heavily in the grading?
Old 04-12-2018, 08:34 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP
College: Swarthmore College (BA Mathematics), Villanova University (MS Applied Stat)

While I appreciate what I expect to be great grading leniency toward varying rounding techniques, it would be nice if the SOA demonstrated any consistency in their written solutions to past exams.

There are some WA questions whose final solutions are VERY sensitive to rounding, and then I have to go back to make sure I'm not stupid or something.

VEE: Statistics | Finance | Economics

FAP: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | IA | 6 | 7 | FA

Conferences: APC
Old 04-16-2018, 02:45 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NchooseK View Post
While I appreciate what I expect to be great grading leniency toward varying rounding techniques, it would be nice if the SOA demonstrated any consistency in their written solutions to past exams.

There are some WA questions whose final solutions are VERY sensitive to rounding, and then I have to go back to make sure I'm not stupid or something.
Yeah, it would be nice to get a better understand on what would be accepting rounding, especially since the solutions on past exams are in no way consistent.

My only concern, as I stated, was more so with problems that tell you to round to a particular place. Would they then not want you to use that rounding solution when solving the rest of the problem? The solutions online don't point to any particular direction.