Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:19 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
this sounds like projecting loss ratios for budgeting purposes and 3-5 year forecasts
This.

I've never heard of someone trying to project IBNR in the future on business that hasn't been written. But it's not uncommon to try to project how much business will be written, and at what loss ratio. And I suppose you could then take your payment patterns and back into future IBNR, but why would you do that?

OP, I agree with JMO and Westley, you need to push back and figure out the purpose of this request, and what is actually useful information that might be realistically projected to answer THAT question.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:05 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
This.

I've never heard of someone trying to project IBNR in the future on business that hasn't been written. But it's not uncommon to try to project how much business will be written, and at what loss ratio. And I suppose you could then take your payment patterns and back into future IBNR, but why would you do that?
I've had to do that before. 5 year P&L, plus balance sheet. So I was forced to project UPR balances, case reserves, and IBNR.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:23 PM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

While this sounds like a finance cash flow or income statement projection project run amok, that sentiment comes from a US-based focus.

The very little bit I've seen of IFRS makes me wonder if the finance project would be less amok in markets operating under those accounting rules.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:37 PM
Non-Actuary

If your company uses some kind of embedded/economic value measure then the projections of your IBNR will impact the future capital costs of holding this IBNR. Those capital costs are then PVed, of course.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:51 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Sure, okay.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 06-02-2018, 09:02 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

I'm not sure what is gained by "projecting IBNR" separate from "projecting (total) ultimate losses" if the final answer is the bottom line g/l information.

Find a way to estimate that total ultimate losses, then use your software to back into "projected IBNR".

One estimate for that total ultimate losses is the LR assumption used in determining the premiums; but find ways to check the adequacy of that particular assumption. For example, if it turns up that recent rate changes have been "short changed" (e.g., the actuarial indicated rate change is +15%, but push back from U/W results in implementing a +10%, your premiums are short by ~4.5%), then you might want to build that in to your estimated ultimate losses.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 06-03-2018, 08:44 AM
CAS AAA

Need to separate IBNR if projecting cash flows i.e, liquidity.

IIRC balance sheet management and capital stress testing required of US banking organizations require such including for insurance subs.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:17 AM
SOA

College: UCLA Alumni

Are you projecting any changes to the population? Sometimes I see this exercise when we know the population will grow/shrink substantially or claims cost will go up due to an expensive new benefit or something. If you're not projecting any significant change in population or claims, then I would just keep it the same as what it currently is now. Yes there is month to month variation but I don't think the size would affect your overall projection.