Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 05-30-2018, 10:00 PM
tcnjmathmajor97 tcnjmathmajor97 is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngxxx081 View Post
Can anyone recommend additional resources to understand delta-hedging? I'm currently using TIA. Right now i'm just going through the motions of solving the exercises the way the solutions lay out and and ingraining that into my muscle memory, but I don't feel that is effective. Thanks.
Working through tons of problems was the only way that I was able to understand delta-hedging when I took MFE.
__________________
Introductory I: P | FM | VEE Economics | VEE Accounting and Finance
Introductory II: IFM | VEE Mathematical Statistics
Actuarial: LTAM | STAM | SRM
Advanced: FAP | PA
Professionalism: APC
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-30-2018, 10:43 PM
yesss yesss is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 10
Default

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding Coaching Actuaries' products for IFM?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-31-2018, 05:28 PM
ToBeAnActuaryOrNotToBe ToBeAnActuaryOrNotToBe is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Favorite beer: The ones in red solo cups.
Posts: 672
Default

PSA: You don't have to memorize the formulas for all Option Greeks. It's in the formula sheet provided during the exam.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-05-2018, 10:19 AM
tunmi tunmi is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
College: MSU
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesss View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts regarding Coaching Actuaries' products for IFM?
I find it helpful. The manual is written well and it contains problems which helps reinforce the material.

I would not overlook the textbook. Looking at the sample questions, it appears there is a strong reliance on the textbooks.

Sample questions: https://www.soa.org/Education/Exam-R...-exam-ifm.aspx
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-05-2018, 09:18 PM
tkt's Avatar
tkt tkt is online now
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Des Moines
College: Drake University
Posts: 498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunmi View Post
I find it helpful. The manual is written well and it contains problems which helps reinforce the material.

I would not overlook the textbook. Looking at the sample questions, it appears there is a strong reliance on the textbooks.

Sample questions: https://www.soa.org/Education/Exam-R...-exam-ifm.aspx
Thanks for the kind words!

Also, for everyone who is preparing for this exam, if you want an electronic copy of our formula sheet, feel free to email me at tteh@coachingactuaries.com. I'd be glad to send you a copy.
__________________
Tong Khon Teh, FSA, CFA
Product Manager, Actuarial
coachingactuaries.com
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-06-2018, 10:14 AM
vo0d0o15 vo0d0o15 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesss View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts regarding Coaching Actuaries' products for IFM?
It's really good. I had the old mfe content and asm manual and wouldn't have recommended either. I find the new ifm content and text is much much better. I feel nervous about the new content and it would be difficult to share on the quality of what's covered until I take the exam. It's a lot of theory and concepts and less math.

There isn't any review videos yet but that said they are adding some this week which I'm looking forward to. This really helps drive home important parts you need to know.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-09-2018, 10:53 PM
yesss yesss is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vo0d0o15 View Post
It's really good. I had the old mfe content and asm manual and wouldn't have recommended either. I find the new ifm content and text is much much better. I feel nervous about the new content and it would be difficult to share on the quality of what's covered until I take the exam. It's a lot of theory and concepts and less math.

There isn't any review videos yet but that said they are adding some this week which I'm looking forward to. This really helps drive home important parts you need to know.
How would you compare their old MFE video lessons/manual vs. the new IFM video lessons/manual? I know they have a different instructor.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-13-2018, 11:10 AM
golfing_actuary golfing_actuary is offline
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
College: Maryville University Alumni
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesss View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts regarding Coaching Actuaries' products for IFM?
I have watched the video lessons for the new material and it took a little longer than anticipated to feel comfortable with the new material because it is quite a bit different. I think the adapt questions are good, but will there really be that many simple concept questions? If so, the exam will most likely only take 1.5 - 2 hours. This makes me nervous. I have a feeling they will ask more lengthy questions as a result, but it just seems like a big toss up.

I have always used Coaching in the past, and it gets better every time!

Prelims: P FM iFM LTAM STAM
VEE: Econ Acctg&Finance Stat
FAP: 1 2 3 4 IA 5 6 7 8 FA
Predictive Analytics
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-13-2018, 12:01 PM
tkt's Avatar
tkt tkt is online now
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Des Moines
College: Drake University
Posts: 498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing_actuary View Post
I have watched the video lessons for the new material and it took a little longer than anticipated to feel comfortable with the new material because it is quite a bit different. I think the adapt questions are good, but will there really be that many simple concept questions? If so, the exam will most likely only take 1.5 - 2 hours. This makes me nervous. I have a feeling they will ask more lengthy questions as a result, but it just seems like a big toss up.

I have always used Coaching in the past, and it gets better every time!
The derivatives portion is more mathematical and the corporate finance portion is more conceptual. Even when it was just derivatives, students started seeing an increasing number of conceptual word problems. Based on what we see in the SOA Corporate Finance sample problems, we anticipate candidates will definitely get several conceptual word problems on Exam IFM.
__________________
Tong Khon Teh, FSA, CFA
Product Manager, Actuarial
coachingactuaries.com
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-22-2018, 11:30 AM
tkt's Avatar
tkt tkt is online now
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Des Moines
College: Drake University
Posts: 498
Default

Greetings!

We are pleased to provide the following update on our IFM products:
  1. Video lessons and online manual covering all topics in Derivatives and Corporate Finance, including two SOA study notes
  2. Review videos covering the Corporate Finance material
  3. 1,120+ practice problems in Adapt, 400+ of which cover the Corporate Finance material
  4. Video solutions for all 44 SOA Corporate Finance sample problems

The July sitting is just around the corner. Many of us are nervous yet excited about the first administration of the IFM exam. Hopefully, this will help students preparing for the July sitting!
__________________
Tong Khon Teh, FSA, CFA
Product Manager, Actuarial
coachingactuaries.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.16221 seconds with 10 queries