Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 04-12-2018, 10:17 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM, PA, FAP
College: Swarthmore College (BA Mathematics), Villanova University (MS Applied Stat)

I have used both CA and ASM with success!

Use ASM if you want additional practice questions, you really need a thorough understanding or you are already comfortable and satisfied with ASM's format and can tolerate its length. If you aren't strong with math, ASM is also probably the way to go. You will get a lot of repetition while you read. ASM has very strong section reviews, usually in just one or two pages.

Use CA if you want a concise narrative with the fat trimmed and intend on relying on ADAPT for problems. You will spend less time reading CA, but it gives you everything you need to know. Though CA is a quicker read, you may re-read it several times, since it gets directly to the point and is very well organized. CA won't show you an example/solution for every case of a problem, but it will illustrate one or two cases, which should be sufficient for the strong student to then handle any variation of or twists to the problem or a similar one.

If you haven't checked out CA in a while, it added some very nice section reviews (at least to MLC). The authors are hungry and constantly adding to and improving its product. CA even reached out to me, asked for my feedback, and then implemented some key improvements I wanted to see!!

I say go with CA if you are math strong and learn quickly. Use ASM if you need the constant exercises and quizzes woven into your reading. Both are excellent choices, so I hope they feel the competition and challenge one another to improve! Since both are great options for me, I will be swayed by future discounts and sweeteners (hint hint)

Keep up the great work, both!

VEE: Statistics | Finance | Economics

FAP: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | IA | 6 | 7 | FA

Conferences: APC

Last edited by NchooseK; 04-12-2018 at 10:36 PM..
Old 05-15-2018, 03:13 AM
SOA

Default CA: Trial LTAM Manual

The trial version of CA: LTAM, lasts for how many days?
Old 05-15-2018, 10:38 AM
SOA

College: Carthage College Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by waqassshaikh View Post
The trial version of CA: LTAM, lasts for how many days?
It is an unlimited time trial, but only covers the first 2 sections (about 20% of the material.)

https://www.coachingactuaries.com/ltam/learn/

Go to the bottom and click "Free Trial".