Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 04-11-2018, 02:27 PM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androzani Major View Post
Maybe a better statement is that I enjoyed having experienced it both ways?
Old 04-11-2018, 02:33 PM
SOA AAA

Is this a premium question? or reserve question?

I mean, this isn't the SAFECO Customer Service Outpost.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:39 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who View Post
Thanks for the responses. I figured it was a slam dunk that the other driver was at fault, since I was rear-ended in a dedicated right turn lane. The guy admitted it was his fault at the scene.
That was stupid of him. Now he wishes he hadn't said it and perhaps is stonewalling his insurer.

ETA: Good thing you have options.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:40 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I figured it was a slam dunk that the other driver was at fault, since I was rear-ended in a dedicated right turn lane. The guy admitted it was his fault at the scene.
which may or may not hold any water.

I still hold out that he may or may not actually be a Safeco insured.

General info at www.ctf.org

Team donation page here.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:51 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie frazier View Post

Note that if the "other driver" is ultimately at fault, but is (technically) uninsured, the claim should become a UM claim (so you won't have to pay a deductible) and it shouldn't "count against you" for rating purposes.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 04-11-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie frazier View Post

I took a picture of his insurance card, and it looked like he had coverage to me.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:20 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

Not necessarily so. My insurer sends me proof of insurance cards with my renewal bill. If I didn't pay the bill, or switched carriers, I'd still have those cards hanging around. But the coverage would be cancelled.

But I agree with everybody else. Go through your insurer. Pay any deductibles. This should be quick. They will chase SAFECO, and if it is the other guy's fault (which doesn't really seem to be in question) you will eventually get the deductible back. Or if he's not covered, your guys will pay it all as UM.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:21 PM
CAS

Safeco has a duty to protect their insured so they won't accept liability without getting their side of the story. Might take a while if the dude is dodging their calls so let your insurer handle it.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:41 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

Quote:
I took a picture of his insurance card, and it looked like he had coverage to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
Not necessarily so. My insurer sends me proof of insurance cards with my renewal bill. If I didn't pay the bill, or switched carriers, I'd still have those cards hanging around. But the coverage would be cancelled.
But I agree with everybody else. Go through your insurer. Pay any deductibles. This should be quick. They will chase SAFECO, and if it is the other guy's fault (which doesn't really seem to be in question) you will eventually get the deductible back. Or if he's not covered, your guys will pay it all as UM.
Maine-iac responded kindly here. Lots of things can happen that would make the person no longer a Safeco insured.

General info at www.ctf.org

Team donation page here.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:46 PM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

TL;DNR version: hand it over to your insurance and forget about it.

Long version:
Spoiler:

I went through one long ordeal with an insurance company that wanted to get out of paying for their policyholder's liability, and was told by my insurance agent to call them the next time and let them handle it, even if the accident wasn't my fault.

So when the incident I mentioned earlier occurred involving my wife and a teenage girl that ran a stop sign (2-way stop that the girl claimed she thought was a 4-way), I ended up doing just that.

At the scene of the wreck, the girl admitted what happened to the cop and was completely fine with taking responsibility, but then her parents showed up and things got fuzzy.

At first the parents argued that it wasn't their daughter's fault because my wife hit her. Then they tried to claim that she shouldn't have been driving at all because she was impaired (some antibiotics nonsense), but quickly back-pedaled on that one when the cop asked why they let her leave the house if she was impaired. Next they claimed my wife was speeding, and that she must have been going at least 70 because their daughter didn't see her and didn't have enough time to get out of the way when my wife came around the curve near the intersection (the cop shot this down quickly, saying the daughter would likely be dead if that was the case, and she was clearly unharmed). After some more shenanigans (like trying to refuse to let their daughter sign the traffic citation) they finally gave all their information to the officer and left angrily (the daughter didn't have an insurance card on her or in the car, which is why they were there in the first place).

I tried contacting their insurance a couple days later, and they had not reported the claim yet so I was told to wait. The damage was mostly superficial and the car was safe to drive so I waited a few more days and tried again. Still no claim reported. I asked what my options were, and whether I could initiate the process (basically get them to call the insured) and was denied. They wouldn't even confirm that the people had current coverage or not.

At this point I was starting to think something shady was going on, so I called my insurance company and asked them what to do (just like they told me to do the last time). They took over and had our car fixed within a few days, and I was told a few weeks later (when I got my deductible back) by one of the team members on the claim that the people tried several times to get out of accepting responsibility, each time more hilarious than the last.

My insurance had the same issues with his insurance company, with no claim reported they couldn't get them to take any action at all. So they called the guy directly. They had several calls with him over roughly a 3 week span:

First he claimed that the daughter was not authorized to drive the car that day, and that the car was technically stolen at the time, so they (and their insurance) should not be held liable. When told that the daughter might face fines and possibly jail time for stealing the car, he changed the story.

He then claimed that the daughter had recently turned 18 and was therefore no longer covered under their policy, and hadn't been added to their insurance yet as an authorized driver, so she wasn't covered. Again, he was warned that there could be some hefty fines and potential jail for the daughter, and the story changed again really quickly.

The next story was that his daughter wasn't driving, and that her friend was the one who ran the stop sign and then jumped out of the car and ran off. He couldn't come up with a name (or any other proof) and when reminded again that his daughter signed the citation and never mentioned anyone else in the car, he gave up on that route.

Next they decided they would just pay for our deductible and let our insurance handle it... but they tried to negotiate this with our insurance directly and not with us. The response was basically "that's fraud, sir" and that the call was being recorded so she hoped he was joking (for his sake).

I can't remember what happened next, but the last attempt at getting out of it were some very poorly photo-shopped pictures of the intersection where the accident occurred. They provided proof that it was both a 4-way stop AND that the stop sign on the side where their daughter was parked was obscured by trees (there are no trees, or even small bushes, on that corner).

At this point my insurance told the guy that if he wasn't going to cooperate then they would get the police involved and take him to court, and that is what finally made him cave in and reach out to his insurance to admit to them that the claim was real after all. Although he still lied about the amount of damage, saying it was just a bent fender (the whole grill, bumper, and one of the headlights needed replaced). At that point it didn't really matter anymore though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androzani Major View Post
Maybe a better statement is that I enjoyed having experienced it both ways?