Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:02 AM
SOA

Studying for Done with exams.

Well...this thread was started when someone (author of the first reply of this thread) claimed to have passed all his exams, got caught and then used the lame excuse "I now do them for CPD purposes".

But my question now is, is it technically possible for an actuary to have two SOA specializations? I would imagine the only way to get that would be to write 5 fellowship exams (two-track-specific-5-hour-exams * 2, 4-hour ERM exam).
Old 06-04-2018, 02:45 PM
CAS

I was under the impression that if you have credit for an exam you are in fact not allowed to sit for it again. Not sure where I heard that, and don't see it written down anywhere.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:49 PM
CAS

I just tried to sign up for FM, and the system didn't let me. I don't know if FSAs would be able to sit for other FSA exams, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to. If you're a life FSA looking to move to Health, you should be able to sit for the exam right?
Old 06-04-2018, 05:18 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
I just tried to sign up for FM, and the system didn't let me. I don't know if FSAs would be able to sit for other FSA exams, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to. If you're a life FSA looking to move to Health, you should be able to sit for the exam right?
Interesting.

Yeah, I don't really buy the story that an FSA (or someone who has passed all of the FSA exams but potentially not FSA yet) is sitting for FSA exams to get CPD credit.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:31 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

Doesn't make sense. The purpose of actually sitting for the exam is to get the credential. If you already have your FSA, there is no point to taking the test. There is a point to studying material from a different track if you start working in that area, but then just take the self-study credit. If you need CPD points in the not-self-study side, then seminars or webinars or relevant meeting sessions, not an exam.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:51 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
Doesn't make sense. The purpose of actually sitting for the exam is to get the credential. If you already have your FSA, there is no point to taking the test. There is a point to studying material from a different track if you start working in that area, but then just take the self-study credit. If you need CPD points in the not-self-study side, then seminars or webinars or relevant meeting sessions, not an exam.
The exam itself wouldn't even count for "non-self-study" CE, right?

Unless you count the proctor's instructions as interaction?
Old 06-05-2018, 09:11 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

It's a long time since I sat for exams and worried about getting the CE credits for exams, but I vaguely recall that study hours counted as self-study CE, and the actual hours you sat for the test were "organized" hours. That could have changed by now, or my memory could be faulty on the point.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:08 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
It's a long time since I sat for exams and worried about getting the CE credits for exams, but I vaguely recall that study hours counted as self-study CE, and the actual hours you sat for the test were "organized" hours. That could have changed by now, or my memory could be faulty on the point.
matches my memory. and organized exam seminars were organized hours as well.

General info at www.ctf.org

Team donation page here.