Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:24 AM

Default How hard to negotiate 6am to 3pm schedule?

I work at a place that has standard hours of 8:30am to 5:30pm. however I know many show up early, sometimes as early as 6am (and then get out similarly early at 3pm). How hard is that to negotiate? The advantage is to avoid traffic. We work in a very hard to commute to, high traffic area, with very high housing costs close to the office.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:42 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob View Post
I work at a place that has standard hours of 8:30am to 5:30pm. however I know many show up early, sometimes as early as 6am (and then get out similarly early at 3pm). How hard is that to negotiate? The advantage is to avoid traffic. We work in a very hard to commute to, high traffic area, with very high housing costs close to the office.
Really depends on your particular office...I'm at a place where nobody cares. I usually show up at 10, unless I have a meeting that happens before that. My team is scattered around the country and my boss often travels so a lot of the time it really doesn't make sense to even show up at the office (so I don't).

However, I do have to wake up very early (meetings before 7:00 AM) to work with overseas clients a few times a month. But if I have to do that, I will take those calls from home. People take down time very seriously so if they're done at 1:00 PM on a Wednesday, they will go home, because another day they might have to stay up past midnight. The expectation is that I'm on-call, so flexibility has its downsides.

On the other hand, one time I worked at a place where people paid attention to when people came in, when they left, and whether they "looked busy" when passing by their desks. Ridiculous. People would pretend to be doing work instead of going home. And this was at a place where the only tight deadline was probably quarter end. But, that was the culture, and physical presence was important.

I think you should at least try...sometimes a reasonable boss will be flexible, but if you're at a place where your coworkers will be like, "well noob never shows up, so noob doesn't work," or will going to HR to complain about you, then forget about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:08 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
However, I do have to wake up very early (meetings before 7:00 AM) to work with overseas clients a few times a month. But if I have to do that, I will take those calls from home.
you never pick up your phone though when i call
Old 05-13-2018, 08:27 AM

I wouldn't even try to negotiate it if others are doing it. Just start doing it, tomorrow. Might do it once per week to see if anybody says anything, or just go for it completely. If somebody says something "Oh, I've seen others doing it, thought it was normal, can we discuss what would work for the team and if there's flexibility in terms of schedule that I can use"
Old 05-13-2018, 09:42 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
I wouldn't even try to negotiate it if others are doing it. Just start doing it, tomorrow. Might do it once per week to see if anybody says anything, or just go for it completely. If somebody says something "Oh, I've seen others doing it, thought it was normal, can we discuss what would work for the team and if there's flexibility in terms of schedule that I can use"
I would think this really depends on your relationship with your manager and/or the people working those schedules , as well as the office culture. While the adage, "it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" may apply here, my preference is to be upfront and honest. If you know someone who works that schedule, ask them if they negotiated it or if that is normal. If you have an open, honest relationship with your manager, talk to them about it.

How long have you been in this job? I have always found it pretty easy to get a sense for how flexible the office culture is in a pretty short period of time so it seems like you should already have a sense for how likely you are to be able to do this.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:42 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
This isn't good advice for some companies. The companies I've worked for have had people have abnormal work schedules, but those are always approved by managers. It's not a good idea to produce a situation in which your manager or someone else important is wondering "Where the hell is Noob?" at 3pm.

Clear it with your manager: if it's okay, no problem. If it's not okay, it's better to find that out ahead of time.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:54 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

The soft aspects also matter. Your boss may support you but think about how everyone else perceives you.

At one place I worked, there was this one time after a reorg where we were constrained for resources. One of the managers tried to explain how they couldn't get some things done because there wasn't capacity. Then the chief actuary says, "the only people I see staying here past 6:30 are CS and Bob."

Dude, that's only because I get here late cause I take personal time in the morning. Don't use me to push your agenda. I bet as soon as you get the chance, you're gonna say something like, "maybe you'd do a better job if you were the first to show up in the office, like Jane does." Jane being someone who comes in early and leaves early because she's got things to do in the afternoon.

Man we can see through that BS. Cut it out. Judge productivity on what gets done and not when people come in and leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:00 PM

Still trying to feel out how quickly I can bring this up. I noticed all the more senior people have a schedule that's more 6am to 3pm than 9am to 5pm. But all the more senior people have homes in suburbs whereas the younger people live close by. Not quite sure if it's seniority-based or if it's basically available for everyone further out (needs a suburb with a decent school district).
Old 05-14-2018, 03:02 PM
CAS

Quote:
Still trying to feel out how quickly I can bring this up. I noticed all the more senior people have a schedule that's more 6am to 3pm than 9am to 5pm. But all the more senior people have homes in suburbs whereas the younger people live close by. Not quite sure if it's seniority-based or if it's basically available for everyone further out (needs a suburb with a decent school district).
It really doesn't hurt to just ask. Of you want, you can bring it up in a list of similar questions like how much notice to give for vacations and whatnot.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
To second what was said above, I would just ask your manager. Every boss I've had in the corporate world has been approachable enough that a question like this would be completely reasonable. If the corporate culture is such that even asking a question like this isn't a comfortable thing to do then it's a red flag in my opinion.

That said, I disagree with the poster earlier that said to just start doing it. Even if you're 99% certain the answer is yes, it's still a good idea to ask. I've never once had a manager deny my request to take PTO on a certain day, but I still make sure to mention to them at least a few weeks in advance when I'd like to take some PTO. At the very least it's simply being polite/courteous.