Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-13-2018, 01:24 AM
Noob Noob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 142
Default How hard to negotiate 6am to 3pm schedule?

I work at a place that has standard hours of 8:30am to 5:30pm. however I know many show up early, sometimes as early as 6am (and then get out similarly early at 3pm). How hard is that to negotiate? The advantage is to avoid traffic. We work in a very hard to commute to, high traffic area, with very high housing costs close to the office.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-13-2018, 01:42 AM
Colonel Smoothie's Avatar
Colonel Smoothie Colonel Smoothie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Posts: 47,183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob View Post
I work at a place that has standard hours of 8:30am to 5:30pm. however I know many show up early, sometimes as early as 6am (and then get out similarly early at 3pm). How hard is that to negotiate? The advantage is to avoid traffic. We work in a very hard to commute to, high traffic area, with very high housing costs close to the office.
Really depends on your particular office...I'm at a place where nobody cares. I usually show up at 10, unless I have a meeting that happens before that. My team is scattered around the country and my boss often travels so a lot of the time it really doesn't make sense to even show up at the office (so I don't).

However, I do have to wake up very early (meetings before 7:00 AM) to work with overseas clients a few times a month. But if I have to do that, I will take those calls from home. People take down time very seriously so if they're done at 1:00 PM on a Wednesday, they will go home, because another day they might have to stay up past midnight. The expectation is that I'm on-call, so flexibility has its downsides.

On the other hand, one time I worked at a place where people paid attention to when people came in, when they left, and whether they "looked busy" when passing by their desks. Ridiculous. People would pretend to be doing work instead of going home. And this was at a place where the only tight deadline was probably quarter end. But, that was the culture, and physical presence was important.

I think you should at least try...sometimes a reasonable boss will be flexible, but if you're at a place where your coworkers will be like, "well noob never shows up, so noob doesn't work," or will going to HR to complain about you, then forget about it.
__________________
Recommended Readings for the EL Actuary || Recommended Readings for the EB Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-13-2018, 02:08 AM
royevans royevans is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
However, I do have to wake up very early (meetings before 7:00 AM) to work with overseas clients a few times a month. But if I have to do that, I will take those calls from home.
you never pick up your phone though when i call
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-13-2018, 08:27 AM
Westley Westley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,882
Default

I wouldn't even try to negotiate it if others are doing it. Just start doing it, tomorrow. Might do it once per week to see if anybody says anything, or just go for it completely. If somebody says something "Oh, I've seen others doing it, thought it was normal, can we discuss what would work for the team and if there's flexibility in terms of schedule that I can use"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-13-2018, 09:42 AM
Kenny's Avatar
Kenny Kenny is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
I wouldn't even try to negotiate it if others are doing it. Just start doing it, tomorrow. Might do it once per week to see if anybody says anything, or just go for it completely. If somebody says something "Oh, I've seen others doing it, thought it was normal, can we discuss what would work for the team and if there's flexibility in terms of schedule that I can use"
I would think this really depends on your relationship with your manager and/or the people working those schedules , as well as the office culture. While the adage, "it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" may apply here, my preference is to be upfront and honest. If you know someone who works that schedule, ask them if they negotiated it or if that is normal. If you have an open, honest relationship with your manager, talk to them about it.

How long have you been in this job? I have always found it pretty easy to get a sense for how flexible the office culture is in a pretty short period of time so it seems like you should already have a sense for how likely you are to be able to do this.
__________________
I am a scientist. I am sorry to disappoint you but I have never seen an elf or a troll. But who am I to exclude their existence? - Arni Bjoernsson
You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil. ... Dumb students are educated stupid. - timecube.com
Usually while I'm reading, I'm actually thinking about...midgets riding toy horses - Roto


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-13-2018, 10:42 AM
TheGillotine's Avatar
TheGillotine TheGillotine is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 30,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
I wouldn't even try to negotiate it if others are doing it. Just start doing it, tomorrow. Might do it once per week to see if anybody says anything, or just go for it completely. If somebody says something "Oh, I've seen others doing it, thought it was normal, can we discuss what would work for the team and if there's flexibility in terms of schedule that I can use"
This isn't good advice for some companies. The companies I've worked for have had people have abnormal work schedules, but those are always approved by managers. It's not a good idea to produce a situation in which your manager or someone else important is wondering "Where the hell is Noob?" at 3pm.

Clear it with your manager: if it's okay, no problem. If it's not okay, it's better to find that out ahead of time.
__________________
Spoiler:
There is no dark side of the moon, really...
As a matter of fact it's all dark.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-13-2018, 10:54 AM
Colonel Smoothie's Avatar
Colonel Smoothie Colonel Smoothie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Posts: 47,183
Default

The soft aspects also matter. Your boss may support you but think about how everyone else perceives you.

At one place I worked, there was this one time after a reorg where we were constrained for resources. One of the managers tried to explain how they couldn't get some things done because there wasn't capacity. Then the chief actuary says, "the only people I see staying here past 6:30 are CS and Bob."

Dude, that's only because I get here late cause I take personal time in the morning. Don't use me to push your agenda. I bet as soon as you get the chance, you're gonna say something like, "maybe you'd do a better job if you were the first to show up in the office, like Jane does." Jane being someone who comes in early and leaves early because she's got things to do in the afternoon.

Man we can see through that BS. Cut it out. Judge productivity on what gets done and not when people come in and leave.

__________________
Recommended Readings for the EL Actuary || Recommended Readings for the EB Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-14-2018, 03:00 PM
Noob Noob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 142
Default

Still trying to feel out how quickly I can bring this up. I noticed all the more senior people have a schedule that's more 6am to 3pm than 9am to 5pm. But all the more senior people have homes in suburbs whereas the younger people live close by. Not quite sure if it's seniority-based or if it's basically available for everyone further out (needs a suburb with a decent school district).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-14-2018, 03:02 PM
TheGillotine's Avatar
TheGillotine TheGillotine is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 30,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob View Post
Still trying to feel out how quickly I can bring this up. I noticed all the more senior people have a schedule that's more 6am to 3pm than 9am to 5pm. But all the more senior people have homes in suburbs whereas the younger people live close by. Not quite sure if it's seniority-based or if it's basically available for everyone further out (needs a suburb with a decent school district).
It really doesn't hurt to just ask. Of you want, you can bring it up in a list of similar questions like how much notice to give for vacations and whatnot.
__________________
Spoiler:
There is no dark side of the moon, really...
As a matter of fact it's all dark.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-14-2018, 03:17 PM
Sssuperdave Sssuperdave is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob View Post
Still trying to feel out how quickly I can bring this up. I noticed all the more senior people have a schedule that's more 6am to 3pm than 9am to 5pm. But all the more senior people have homes in suburbs whereas the younger people live close by. Not quite sure if it's seniority-based or if it's basically available for everyone further out (needs a suburb with a decent school district).
To second what was said above, I would just ask your manager. Every boss I've had in the corporate world has been approachable enough that a question like this would be completely reasonable. If the corporate culture is such that even asking a question like this isn't a comfortable thing to do then it's a red flag in my opinion.

That said, I disagree with the poster earlier that said to just start doing it. Even if you're 99% certain the answer is yes, it's still a good idea to ask. I've never once had a manager deny my request to take PTO on a certain day, but I still make sure to mention to them at least a few weeks in advance when I'd like to take some PTO. At the very least it's simply being polite/courteous.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.31985 seconds with 9 queries