Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 05-14-2018, 03:54 PM
CAS

If everyone else is doing it, I image you can. If it were me, I'd say to my boss, "hey, I notice that Bill and Sally get in at 6 and leave 3, is it okay with you if I do that, too?" And I'd expect my boss to say "sure".
Old 05-14-2018, 04:06 PM
CAS SOA

College: State

There is no singular correct approach. You really just need to read your manager. You could potentially do what Westley recommends.

I personally requested the opposite: I like to work about 10-7, and neither my manager nor his manager has had an issue with it. I have double checked a few times- maybe every few months- to be sure she is still okay with my odd schedule and she is, so I continue to do it. Just like CS, I alter my schedule if there is a meeting scheduled outside of my typical 10-7 window.

Good luck!
Old 05-14-2018, 04:21 PM
Revered
CAS AAA

Studying for the Beach
Favorite beer: Carib

At my first company it was clear from day one that people were expected to get the hours in and it didn't matter what they were come in at 6:30 or 9:30 whatever.

At my second company hours were more strict but eventually I just came in whenever as i was indispensable. "Hey we had an 8:00 a.m. meeting!" "Did you learn the lesson about calling 8:00 a.m. meetings?"

Third company is come and go whenever the f you want.

Point being it depends. I would start with a simple email "Mind if i do a 6:00 to 3:00 schedule?" More of a heads up. I would not bring up Bill and Sally or make any case for it. Just ask and most places I imagine the response will be "sure as long as you are available for calls after 3:00" or something like that.
curls for the girls

Spoiler:

]
Old 05-14-2018, 04:43 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob View Post
I work at a place that has standard hours of 8:30am to 5:30pm. however I know many show up early, sometimes as early as 6am (and then get out similarly early at 3pm). How hard is that to negotiate? The advantage is to avoid traffic. We work in a very hard to commute to, high traffic area, with very high housing costs close to the office.
I've read lots of studies that say early arrivers are viewed better even if they don't do better work. That said, I hear the occasional comment about 'that person or department' that leaves early. You can't win.

That said, if you're way early you don't get more brownie points than just a bit early.

Standard hours are mainly so people don't have to work hard to schedule meetings around you. Consultants can't tell clients "I don't work after 3pm." Then again, it was understood if we weren't billing, who cares what we're doing.

I'd just worry about what suits you and do good work.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:38 AM
SOA AAA

When does your manager come in and leave?

Some companies have "core" hours 10-3 where they don't care when you come in and leave as long as you are at work between those hours.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:59 AM
CAS

Yeah, actually, if you have a written policy about core hours and flexible hours, just tell your boss that you'd like to take advantage of that, and you plan to come in at 6 and leave at 3.

This should not be a hard "negotiation".
Old 06-03-2018, 12:51 PM

Just ask your boss? If that doesn’t sound fun, ask one of those people who do 6-3 if they had to get special permission.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:24 PM
CAS

It depends on the office. In the places I've worked, it's no problem at all to have a schedule like that.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:53 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP
Favorite beer: Dunkel

I agree that it depends on the office and the company culture. If you're asking that question here I assume it's not a very common thing to do in your own team maybe?

I would approach with caution, not ask directly for 6 to 3, but ask if they're okay with earlier-in schedule first. Adding an explanation might be nice if it's related to your work performance, like you said traffic is really bad in the morning and you'll definitely start work very tired after being in that traffic for hours; or for example you want to take your study hours first thing in the morning and it's nice to have a quiet office, yada yada yada...

Last edited by pippi-longstocking; 06-03-2018 at 06:57 PM..
Old 06-04-2018, 08:38 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

It's common, though the company that I work at now absolutely did not allow that sort of thing until a change in policy just last year. But there were reasons we were pretty old fashioned in HR policies until just recently, that don't carry over to other places.

However, all the places I've work that allow it, you have to clear it with your manager first, though that's mostly a formality. One place required all of us to take a turn working a late schedule once a month, because nobody signed on to do that regularly, and they always wanted someone around to answer calls from the West Coast. (We were on the East Coast.)