Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 06-04-2018, 08:54 AM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Just move to Los Angeles. A lot of employees there work that shift.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:15 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
Just move to Los Angeles. A lot of employees there work that shift.
I was just about to post that.

I moved from Boston to Los Angeles a few years ago and in general people tend to start their day earlier in LA.

In Boston, people normally work 9/9:30 to 5:30/6, and people take lunch at 12:30-1:30.

After I moved to LA, I discovered that most people work 7/8 to 4 and a lot of them do 6-3. Most take lunch no later than 11:30.

As for how hard it is to negotiate work hours from 8-3, it really depends on company culture. If you mostly work on your own and have good job performance, it should not be an issue. However, if you manage a team of people, it may be more difficult.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:44 PM
CAS

Yeah, we don't have one time zone on paper, but we don't really have a three hour spread, either.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:38 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Warrior View Post

I moved from Boston to Los Angeles a few years ago and in general people tend to start their day earlier in LA.

In Boston, people normally work 9/9:30 to 5:30/6, and people take lunch at 12:30-1:30.

After I moved to LA, I discovered that most people work 7/8 to 4 and a lot of them do 6-3. Most take lunch no later than 11:30.

As for how hard it is to negotiate work hours from 8-3, it really depends on company culture. If you mostly work on your own and have good job performance, it should not be an issue. However, if you manage a team of people, it may be more difficult.
That's interesting.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:51 AM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
It's common, though the company that I work at now absolutely did not allow that sort of thing until a change in policy just last year. But there were reasons we were pretty old fashioned in HR policies until just recently, that don't carry over to other places.

However, all the places I've work that allow it, you have to clear it with your manager first, though that's mostly a formality. One place required all of us to take a turn working a late schedule once a month, because nobody signed on to do that regularly, and they always wanted someone around to answer calls from the West Coast. (We were on the East Coast.)
I thought you were an actuary, not a customer service rep.

I kid, I kid.
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree
Old 06-07-2018, 10:15 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Warrior View Post

Half-because you might have to deal with east-coasters who want more than three hours of your time to intersect (lunches subtract from that intersection).
Half-because of traffic, depending on one's commute.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
Yeah, actually, if you have a written policy about core hours and flexible hours, just tell your boss that you'd like to take advantage of that, and you plan to come in at 6 and leave at 3.

This should not be a hard "negotiation".
This. Check your employee handbook first. It's a very common benefit and "core hours" is the term usually used. If so, it's a very simple conversation with your manager.

If not, then I think the most important thing is demonstrating your ability to work independently and always meet your deadlines. After than has been clearly demonstrated, it'll be easier to convince your boss that having a non-standard schedule will not disrupt the team.