Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:35 AM

College: Annamalai University
Default IT Skills with Actuarial Papers

Hello,

I have 18 years of experience in IT (system administration) and I have cleared 4 actuarial papers (CT1, CT3, CT7, CT9) for IFoA. Parallel to that I have also earned MBA in Financial Management in recent past.

Now I want to know that if I should continue with Actuarial Education (rest of papers). I have studied for CT5 and CT6 and but not given papers as of now (most likely I should be able to clear them both in one to one a half years if I work in this direction. I want to know if I should pursue my actuarial education. Can I blend my IT knowledge with Actuarial Skills as I have experience in IT but not in Actuarial Science.

Your inputs, thoughts will help me to take the better decision whether to go further with Actuarial papers or not as it takes a lot of time, effort and money to pursue Actuarial Education.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:41 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Yes you can. There are a lot of requests that actuarial makes of IT, that IT says will take 3 weeks or whatever, like data access. Then when we call 3 weeks later they be all like, 'yo I got tied up with something so that'll take another 2 weeks.'

Since you have IT experience you can call bullshit on that and tell your superiors that having been on the other side, you know the request takes 5 minutes to resolve.

No joke. Time is money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:31 PM
CAS Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Yes you can. There are a lot of requests that actuarial makes of IT, that IT says will take 3 weeks or whatever, like data access. Then when we call 3 weeks later they be all like, 'yo I got tied up with something so that'll take another 2 weeks.'

Since you have IT experience you can call bullshit on that and tell your superiors that having been on the other side, you know the request takes 5 minutes to resolve.

No joke. Time is money.
Although granting data access can be done in 5 minutes or less, OP likely won't have the faculties to do that from within the actuarial department. The same applies to other tasks that involve the implementation of data/processes/reports.

That being said, CS's point accurately outlines the overhead/bureaucracy in IT as well as the solution. It's just quite difficult (at least in my experience) to find managers with the wisdom to go that route. Some of it has to do with the heightened coordination to preserve smoothness in Production, but there's also the mentality of sticking to the manager's useless seminar on project management.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:24 AM

I think I didn't explained my dilemma clearly enough. I wanted to know that if I should continue to pursue Actuarial Education as I am in currently in IT (System Administration) for past 18 years in non actuarial organization?

I have cleared 4 papers, shall I work ahead and clear more papers?

Will it help me?
Old 05-21-2018, 11:34 AM
CAS SOA

Will it help you what?

To get a job, to get paid more, to get more flexibility in projects, to get hired at a specific company, to become an actuary?

I'm not clear what your goal is, so it's hard to say whether papers matter for you.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:09 PM

The goal is to better skilled, combine my IT skills with Actuarial Knowledge and have long term rewarding career.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:11 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exp2018 View Post
The goal is to better skilled, combine my IT skills with Actuarial Knowledge and have long term rewarding career.
Does your IT boss care about the actuarial perspective? Nobody here can answer that for you.

(Or, to look at it from another angle, why do YOU want to be an actuary?)

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:44 AM

Thanks for the responses from all of you. I really appreciate it and it helped me in choosing the direction.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:19 AM
Non-Actuary

College: Angelo State University

Yes, doing more generally is a good idea? *shruggy idk what the heck is going on face*
Old 05-29-2018, 10:23 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exp2018 View Post
Rather than focusing on finding a job where those particular skills can be mixed, you might want to start fresh and figure out what your best shot is at having a long, rewarding career. because that is the real "why" here. Your goal isn't really to combine skill X and Y, but have a rewarding career. That might mean picking one direction or the other to really focus on, or it might mean being the combo player. Bringing more skills to the table only benefits you if your customer is willing to pay a premium for the combination.

Don't take this as me being negative about knowing more. It is good to know more stuff. It is not always good to focus on "crossover" roles to the exclusion of function-specific roles. That depends on your situation.

Tags
career advice, it skills, pursue actuarial