Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:04 AM

College: Annamalai University
Thumbs up

Thanks nonlnear,

You made a very valid point that

"Bringing more skills to the table only benefits you if your customer is willing to pay a premium for the combination."

Well, I love studying Actuarial stuff and enjoy it, though I had no practical experience in it but I do have experience in IT, so I thought of combining both.

You are right, I should focus on one and should not combine two different skills as it might not be required by the potential employer.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:16 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exp2018 View Post
Thanks nonlnear,

You made a very valid point that

"Bringing more skills to the table only benefits you if your customer is willing to pay a premium for the combination."

Well, I love studying Actuarial stuff and enjoy it, though I had no practical experience in it but I do have experience in IT, so I thought of combining both.

You are right, I should focus on one and should not combine two different skills as it might not be required by the potential employer.
I wasn't saying that you necessarily should just pick one, or that combining is bad. Depending on your path and the kind of role you believe you will have your best opportunities in, you might want to mix skills. There definitely are a lot of IT-crossover jobs in a lot of companies. I was just cautioning you against assuming that having both is necessarily going to be a significant boost at a given employer.

Make sure your career plan is deliberately working towards your actual ultimate goal. If your goal really is to work in a job that uses skillset X+Y, not just X or Y, then develop those skills and find a company where that job exists. If your goal is really just to progress as far as you can with any old combination of X and/or Y, then you might want to focus on company, location, or other factors, and let your skillset planning go with the flow, depending which company/niche you end up wanting to settle into. Maybe that will be X, maybe Y, or maybe X+Y.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:46 PM

Have you heard about the new curriculum? If you donít pass by September then your CT1 exam becomes worthless.

Are you working in the UK or in India? Youíve got to think about where you want to go with your career. Do you want to work in IT or do you want to be an actuary?
Old 06-04-2018, 12:42 PM

Yes, I need to clear CT5 by September else CT1 will be invalid. I work in India in IT field and got interested in Actuarial stuff that I liked very much. Had I known about the actuarial field during my school times, I would have began with it only as Mathematics was my favorite subject. Now, it seems it's too late to become actuary with full time job and family.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:10 AM

Favorite beer: the closest one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exp2018 View Post
Now, it seems it's too late to become actuary with full time job and family.
Have you tried applying for actuarial jobs? I know nothing of the Indian job market, but I'd certainly be interested in finding out what a IT career changer could add if I saw that CV for a role.
I don't think you necessarily need to pass more exams, you've got enough to show that you know what you're letting yourself in for, and that you have some level of commitment to becoming an actuary. If you really want to do it, I'd say you should start putting yourself forward for jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:08 AM

Smile

Yes, I have applied for many jobs that come through actuaryjobs as well as notifications that we get from IAI about jobs in India. Also my profile is there in some of the Job websites in India.

Well till now, no luck so far.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:22 PM

Favorite beer: the closest one

It sounds like you're doing everything right. Keep applying for the jobs, that's the big thing, if you can keep the exam progress ticking over that's even better - but I don't think getting more will make a huge difference to your attractiveness.

Usual disclaimer - i know the UK market, and am assuming that India is similar, that could be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.

Tags
career advice, it skills, pursue actuarial