Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 05-25-2018, 12:32 AM
SOA

Tolerating someone who doesn't listen, much easier than tolerating someone who blames people for stuff not their fault, pretends they are doing more than others, doesn't give adequate information about their request and then complains they didn't receive an adequate response etc.

There was an example of this in my company once. I luckily didn't work that closely with this person, but managed to feel better about the few times I did by thinking how much extra money this person must need to pay in salary to keep employees.

Last edited by Sheffey; 05-25-2018 at 12:39 AM..
Old 05-25-2018, 04:38 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Kansas

There's probably a way to push back with kindness and tact - a way that you can identify the issue but is not demeaning or angry. I am not talking about being passive aggressive. If your goal is the betterment of the team (which includes your active involvement) then I think the way forward may be easier to see. If your goal is self-protection and self-respect, it may be a bit harder.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:23 PM
SOA

One idea is to confront this person when alone/in person but act normal in front of others. This way you can preserve your self respect, at the same time appear nice in front of everyone else.

This is also a good suggestion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
If this person gives "No" as an answer to everything, stop asking questions (or offering suggestions) where "no" is a possible response. Rather than offering your suggested approach/solution to a problem, take a Socratic path and ask how they would approach the problem [that you have a suggested solution to].