Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 05-22-2018, 05:39 PM
Non-Actuary

Default Starting to interview again at a company thatís about to make me an offer

I sent a cold email to actuarial team A. Actuarial hiring manager responded and directed me to a position for which to apply. I applied a few weeks ago, and just heard back about an interview recently.

A recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn for an Analyst position B at the same company. I made it through the process with B and the hiring manager said he would like to make me an offer. But I don’t have details yet. He said it’d be a few days before paperwork came through.

I think position B would be great, definitely a step up from where I am currently I don’t know much about A yet. I’m pretty close to ASA and would like to go at least that far in either role. I think B is related enough that if I later decide I preferred A I’d be a much stronger candidate after 2-3 years getting results in job B.

Should I tell hiring team A about where I am with B pre-offer or post offer? Before the interview, at the beginning, or wait until the end? I’m generally in agreement with CS’s advice of “interview until you’re sitting in the chair collecting a paycheck” I don’t want to torpedo B. But I’d like to talk with some people from A to network, learn what they do, and think about how I might like that position compared to B. Is that too annoying or too much of a waste of their time? Could I offer some sort of alternative meeting after I start or at a time more convenient? The positions would be in the same office.

Last edited by DrWillKirby; 05-22-2018 at 06:18 PM..
Old 05-22-2018, 06:07 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

How do you know more about the position you haven't interviewed for, than the one you have?
Old 05-22-2018, 06:20 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDucky View Post
How do you know more about the position you haven't interviewed for, than the one you have?
I donít. B Analyst is the one about to offer. A Actuarial will be starting soon. Sorry if I screwed up the letters
Old 05-22-2018, 06:40 PM
SOA AAA

gonna be awkward either way. First to offer gets you. Should be simple to explain at Awkward Time.
DTNF's Rťsumť Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:42 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Rcpp, Git

I dealt with this recently although with two different companies, and I would do the same if I were in your situation. Get an offer from B, tell them you need 4-5 days, and tell A that you have an offer, without telling them specifically who gave you that offer. Tell them that if you don't receive an offer by X date at Y time, you're going to take offer from B.

I would not recommend trying to talk with A or B in terms of comparing positions. Although both positions might be at the same company, they might (and probably will) be looking only for their team's own interest.

Why I hate Microsoft Access.

Studying/Reading: Machine Learning and Pattern Recognition
Old 05-25-2018, 06:57 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetist View Post
I dealt with this recently although with two different companies, and I would do the same if I were in your situation. Get an offer from B, tell them you need 4-5 days, and tell A that you have an offer, without telling them specifically who gave you that offer. Tell them that if you don't receive an offer by X date at Y time, you're going to take offer from B.

I would not recommend trying to talk with A or B in terms of comparing positions. Although both positions might be at the same company, they might (and probably will) be looking only for their team's own interest.
This sounds like a good plan.

My brother works at Amazon. He said it's common for people to interview with 2 or 3 different teams at the same time and they don't always know about the other interviews. It's more of a teams fighting over the candidate dynamic than the teams being offended they might not be the candidate's first choice.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:07 PM
Non-Actuary

B just offered me a >50% raise over my current salary. This is amazing. Should I even risk mentioning it to A? They want me to decide by end of day Monday.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:10 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWillKirby View Post
B just offered me a >50% raise over my current salary. This is amazing. Should I even risk mentioning it to A? They want me to decide by end of day Monday.
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

Sounds like a DNGAFF
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for 8
Favorite beer: DFH 90Min

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWillKirby View Post
Call your bank first to make sure they have extra room