Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondlife View Post
To be fair to the CIA, the designation was created with good intention. CIA thought international students studying in Canada would go for it and then it would become an internationally recognized designation.
What do you mean by designation? Did they think FCIA would surpass FSA as a preferred designation for Chinese students? Why would an international student ever seek an exam waiver? If they could get credit from university courses, it would seem that the foreign universities would qualify their own courses.

At least you have added another reason to the long list of bad reasons to support this. This one is about as good as we are losing people to Wall Street or some Lord said the British actuarial profession was too insular, therefore we should adopt a system similar to what they have. Or how about doctors have to be trained at universities to practice, why not actuaries.

Or how about the material is so important that formal instruction is necessary, while at the same time you have claimed that the material is of little or no value.

My favorite argument was when Mike McLaughlin stated on this forum that the dual system would reduce the resources necessary to run the preliminary exams, leaving more resources to the later exams.

So as it appears that this system is not popular what is the reason for its continuation, other than they don't want to admit that they were wrong?
Old 05-27-2018, 10:15 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic Actuary View Post
What do you mean by designation? Did they think FCIA would surpass FSA as a preferred designation for Chinese students? Why would an international student ever seek an exam waiver? If they could get credit from university courses, it would seem that the foreign universities would qualify their own courses.
I meant ACIA.

Quote:
At least you have added another reason to the long list of bad reasons to support this. This one is about as good as we are losing people to Wall Street or some Lord said the British actuarial profession was too insular, therefore we should adopt a system similar to what they have. Or how about doctors have to be trained at universities to practice, why not actuaries.

Or how about the material is so important that formal instruction is necessary, while at the same time you have claimed that the material is of little or no value.

My favorite argument was when Mike McLaughlin stated on this forum that the dual system would reduce the resources necessary to run the preliminary exams, leaving more resources to the later exams.
no comments, as I didn't follow any of it on this forum until Canadian UAP.

Quote:
So as it appears that this system is not popular what is the reason for its continuation, other than they don't want to admit that they were wrong?
It's not popular because SOA is not recognizing Canadian UAP, while SOA is recognizing other countrries university accreditations through mutual agreements(ex: Australian system, UK system, Hong Kong etc).
Old 05-27-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I meant ACIA.
So they thought students would come to Canada from around the world, for the reason that they could get an ACIA through exam waivers????
Old 05-27-2018, 11:37 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
So they thought students would come to Canada from around the world, for the reason that they could get an ACIA through exam waivers????
International students come to Canada and some return to their home country. Actuarial programs are very small compared to other STEM programs. I am not sure whether actuarial major is their first choice and whether UAP influence the choice or not. I am sure CIA volunteers knew that.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:52 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

I used to be against it, but not any more. It seems to have proved itself moot/pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
I am a Fellow of the Society of Actuaries and a member of the American Academy of Actuaries. My employer has not taken a position on the Future Education Method (FEM) proposal. No longer true.
I think the proposal should be rejected.

The proposed FEM is not necessary
Students who attend universities in the US and Canada, whether or not they are in an actuarial science program, can take the existing preliminary actuarial exams. Indeed, the assertion that the “good” students are passing these exams verifies that taking and passing the exams is quite usual. With the continued extension of Computer Based Testing to all the preliminary exams, any lingering concerns about scheduling are already being addressed.
There is no need for a new program.
. . .
[I made lots of other arguments, but this is the one that has proved most cogent.]

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
International students come to Canada and some return to their home country. Actuarial programs are very small compared to other STEM programs. I am not sure whether actuarial major is their first choice and whether UAP influence the choice or not. I am sure CIA volunteers knew that.
Has there been an increase in the number of international students since UAP? Actuaries are supposed to know how to analyze data and make decisions based upon it (you know facts and not impressions).
Old 05-27-2018, 07:21 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Has there been an increase in the number of international students since UAP? Actuaries are supposed to know how to analyze data and make decisions based upon it (you know facts and not impressions).
Pls attend ARC and ask this and all the questions that you have about Canadian UAP.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Pls attend ARC and ask this and all the questions that you have about Canadian UAP.
What are presentations about UAP doing at a research conference anyway? Isn't there a conference specifically for teaching?
Old 05-27-2018, 10:14 PM
CAS

Quote:
What is ARC and why would someone attend just to learn about UAP? Why would someone attend other than to learn about UAP?
Old 05-27-2018, 10:20 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
I used to be against it, but not any more. It seems to have proved itself moot/pointless.

[I made lots of other arguments, but this is the one that has proved most cogent.]
I agree it has been moot/pointless, Ms Marler, which was one of the arguments against it. I'm just concerned that proponents will use people's indifference to its innocuous implementation in a handful of Canadian exam factories to push its expansion further.