Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:00 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
What is ARC and why would someone attend just to learn about UAP? Why would someone attend other than to learn about UAP?
ARC: Actuarial Research Conference
Old 05-28-2018, 11:55 PM
SOA

Some university actuarial courses are harder than MLC exams, but they do not test the same way and time length as actuarial exams do. Instead of doing 30-40 problems in a few hours, they ask students to do questions like current MLC format or short answer questions only in a couple hours only.

Get ASA equivalent certificate through university courses will not give people raises for exam passes. They only get final raises when they pass FAP or achieve ASA title.

It's like VEE course validation. Some universities' sophomore level statistics courses could even be used to validate Applied Statistics credit which will soon turn to be SRM exam.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:21 PM
CAS

Studying for Freedom

Nobody cares about actuarial science now. Ask any international students, data science is far more appealing to them.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:40 PM
SOA

Studying for Done with exams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblade View Post
Nobody cares about actuarial science now.
what is easier?

create a prestigious data science designation from scratch.

vs.

establish a data science FSA track
Old 05-31-2018, 05:46 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblade View Post
Ask any international students, data science is far more appealing to them.
The data you gathered in researching this must be fascinating. Are you intending to publish?

I'm also curious about what other opinions are uniform among international students.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 05-31-2018, 05:58 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondlife View Post
Were you planning to answer my other questions, Dwigt?
Old 05-31-2018, 06:22 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
Were you planning to answer my other questions, Dwigt?
I am sorry no.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:14 PM
Non-Actuary

I'm currently well on my way to getting most of my ACIA exams through accreditation. Some random thoughts:

- you can only get an ACIA, I don't see a route to get ASA.
- the course requirements to get an exemption are not easy. 80% in an actsci course at UWaterloo probably puts you in the top 25% of the class - and some of these exemptions require a minimum of 80%. I think the accreditation is more difficult than the exams but, it's arguable. One benefit of accreditation is that the some of the exam material is spread across 2-3 courses.
- I would've thought that an ACIA is fully recognized in Canada as equivalent to an ASA, but I don't actually know. If not, accreditation is not good, becuase again, you can't go from ACIA to ASA. You need ASA, you have to write the exams. Otherwise, ACIA is equivalent to an ASA, you have to either write the same number of exams, or get accrediation for them.
- I led an review session for one of the courses that qualifies for accreditation, at a university where 50% of the students in the program are international (non-Canadian). None of them cared about accreditation. They all wanted the ASA, for international recognition.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:26 PM
CAS

Waterloo grad here. I would say anyone who can achieve a high enough mark to get credit is able to pass the corresponding exam. The content of the course material, at least at Waterloo, is much more difficult.

However, someone who can get a high enough mark wouldn't be able to pass the equivalent exam without additional preparation.

The style of the exam is much different, asking different types of questions with more reliance on speed and accuracy.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:24 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP
Favorite beer: Miller Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokiwah View Post
Waterloo grad here. I would say anyone who can achieve a high enough mark to get credit is able to pass the corresponding exam. The content of the course material, at least at Waterloo, is much more difficult.

However, someone who can get a high enough mark wouldn't be able to pass the equivalent exam without additional preparation.

The style of the exam is much different, asking different types of questions with more reliance on speed and accuracy.

How would you know without taking the class, then doing some Total Recall type deal to erase your memory and take the corresponding exams?

I have seen people that did great in college (even a school as hard as your esteemed waterloo), but couldn't pass the exams.