Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytcs Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 05-25-2018, 11:37 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
I’m in the office at irregular hours, like 10+ hours in busier days, but then 7-8 in less busy days. If you gain enough trust from your supervisors that they know you do the job well and on time, you’d probably get more flexibility imo.

We’ve got some people who are in the office for just 8 hours a day, some for 9 hours. IDK
Yeah this is a pretty good summary of how I worked in my insurance jobs and feels like the best way to approach things.

I have a little more freedom now and will shift days from 4 hrs to 12 hrs and weekdays to weekends depending on product launches. It is a huge pro for being able to form my schedule around work needs but had the con of work/life lines being more blurred.

-Riley
Old 05-25-2018, 12:23 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Right, I think discussing people's work hours is petty if unrelated to job performance or availability.

At my first job people would compete and say things like "oh I worked 80 hours last week" but you dig further and realize they didn't accomplish all that much. It's silly.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:47 PM
SOA

It's easy to manage hours, it's hard to manage calibre of work product, that means you have to actually understand what everyone is doing.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:01 PM

As an example, mm comments about people working 80 hours that didn't do much. I've seen that plenty, but there are a lot of different reasons. I've seen people that spend half their day screwing around - reddit, calling wife, or just chitchat with office friends. Others are working harder, not smarter. And even the work harder not smarter group, it may or may not be their fault. Tons of people have no idea how to improve a process and their manager doesn't know how to work with them to get them to do so (or even actively discourages it sometimes). If you don't have the skills to write a macro or code, and you're just moving data around spreadsheets all day, is it your fault that you're working a lot, or did your manager fail to put the right person in the right spot?
Old 05-25-2018, 01:04 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
Right, I think discussing people's work hours is petty if unrelated to job performance or availability.

At my first job people would compete and say things like "oh I worked 80 hours last week" but you dig further and realize they didn't accomplish all that much. It's silly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
It's easy to manage hours, it's hard to manage calibre of work product, that means you have to actually understand what everyone is doing.
Yeah, I find it awkward for someone in the actuarial profession or any other mathy, data savvy position to be so focused on the actual hours they are working. You should be invested enough in your own career to want to do good work. While physical hours spent in the office is good for perception, it is dwarfed by actual production. Only situation I can think of where this is not the case is if you have a manager who defined "success" in their analyst years as sitting at a desk for X hours and now they feel that is what you should do as well.

-Riley
Old 05-25-2018, 01:08 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
If you don't have the skills to write a macro or code, and you're just moving data around spreadsheets all day, is it your fault that you're working a lot, or did your manager fail to put the right person in the right spot?
I was going to write a note in my previous post about a certain co-worker I had who use to be in IB and boasted ~70 hour weeks. What you mentioned above is exactly what they do; they were easily the most inefficient person I've ever worked with.

Now, that can't generalize over all people in that position, but I think it is a good lesson for the specific thread. Your productivity is factor of two axes; efficiency and hours.

-Riley
Old 05-25-2018, 01:25 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
I was going to write a note in my previous post about a certain co-worker I had who use to be in IB and boasted ~70 hour weeks. What you mentioned above is exactly what they do; they were easily the most inefficient person I've ever worked with.

Now, that can't generalize over all people in that position, but I think it is a good lesson for the specific thread. Your productivity is factor of two axes; efficiency and hours.

-Riley
But also make sure you manager understands the efficiency of what you're doing.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:31 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofants View Post
I don't want to ask anyone, especially my manager, because that would make it seem like I'm lazy.
Um, not asking your manager is the epitome of laziness. Can't even get off your butt to ask a question.

"Hey, manager, what time do you want me to start working and what time do you want me to stop working?"

Also, have you even been offered and have you accepted this job? If not, please keep looking for a job instead of asking us general questions whose answers are not likely to be applicable at any specific company.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:42 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

If you desire a light workload or flexible schedule, and are wondering about hours, state your preference and ask whether it's reasonable. It doesn't do you any favors to get the job only to find out you can't handle the workload. Some companies won't hesitate to fire you ASAP. And by ASAP I mean the first day or week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:43 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

At my former job people were super impressed by being online at weird hours. Saturday morning. Of course, all you had to do was leave your laptop open...