Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 05-28-2018, 07:16 AM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
This reminds me of when my company wanted to 'innovate' but im pretty sure their strategy was just to see how many times they could say 'innovate'.
[Dilbert]
Bingo!
[/Dilbert]

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:24 PM

While there are a couple of important exceptions (e.g. gaming risk scores), in general predictive analytics isn't remotely as useful in health insurance as it's made out to be.

And what's left to do can often be purchased or outsourced.
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:31 PM
SOA AAA

It's been my experience that most of the problems associated with predictive modeling starts with the data.
Data you get are the end process of paying claims. And the goal of paying claims is doing it right and fast. Not necessarily to provide actuaries with all the data they need in a perfect format.
Also, changing of time periods (month-to-month, even) requires a lot more thought and will generally muddy the results.
And, now your data are two years old and might not be relevant to today's decisions.
DTNF's Rťsumť Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:40 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
While there are a couple of important exceptions (e.g. gaming risk scores), in general predictive analytics isn't remotely as useful in health insurance as it's made out to be.

And what's left to do can often be purchased or outsourced.
List of clients that implemented new "health product" - say some diabetes program, etc. etc.

Given the experience of those clients and the claims of their individuals, can we use the claims of individuals from another client to more accurately gauge the value of each of these programs to them? Are we able to make detailed predictions about product offerings that don't rely on mean statistics of that client, but instead individual/claim level data?

Also, hospital networking decisions seem to be ripe for optimization. What I've seen in that space is super lackluster...

If we're limited to traditional actuarial outputs, then I agree that health has few opportunities. If you expand it to the company as a whole, there should be plenty of creative ways to use that information.

Can't talk about them all though cause how will I sell my consulting services later on? :P

-Riley
Old 05-29-2018, 07:43 PM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

I’d be less concerned with predictive analytics and more concerned with data management from what you’re saying. You can’t compete in most healthcare payer spaces without knowing that part of the game. Given their answers on analytics and using outside vendors for certain core functions, I see some potential red flags, but I’m not sure how to dig into that while interviewing for a job.

In general though? Regional health plan is a risky proposition imo. Not necessarily a bad idea to work there, but the game is more skewed towards the big players than ever.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:46 PM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
List of clients that implemented new "health product" - say some diabetes program, etc. etc.

Given the experience of those clients and the claims of their individuals, can we use the claims of individuals from another client to more accurately gauge the value of each of these programs to them? Are we able to make detailed predictions about product offerings that don't rely on mean statistics of that client, but instead individual/claim level data?

Also, hospital networking decisions seem to be ripe for optimization. What I've seen in that space is super lackluster...

If we're limited to traditional actuarial outputs, then I agree that health has few opportunities. If you expand it to the company as a whole, there should be plenty of creative ways to use that information.

Can't talk about them all though cause how will I sell my consulting services later on? :P

-Riley
Your examples are elementary enough that Iím confident labeling you a charlatan in the health field. Health actuaries arenít restricted to traditional work, and I can vouch that they have been working on this type of work for years. Results are mixed.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:58 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Many health insurers outsource their predictive modeling needs to consultants (I do a fair amount of this for carriers).

And yes, data management is a huge problem in health insurance. Or a huge opportunity, if you prefer.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 05-29-2018, 08:22 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post
Your examples are elementary enough that Iím confident labeling you a charlatan
Them's fightin' words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:28 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
Interviewed with a regional health insurance company this week.

Asked the VP about their predictive analytics capabilities and how such techniques are used in the company.

Other than some off the shelf risk adjustment software used in the quality and care management departments, and a few tasks outsourced to vendors (e.g. fraud, waste, abuse department), they don't use these techniques anywhere, and have no staff dedicated to building/improving models. Actuarial teams focus on reporting and traditional actuarial work (report loss ratios, claim triangles, trend reporting, rate filings, etc.). IT has a BI group building reports/dashboards in tableau, but it's entirely reporting the news/explaining the past, not forward looking.

"We are not competing on analytics" was an exact quote.

Would this be a red flag to you in a job hunt?
Look at the bright side: you won't hear the word "analytics" that often.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:29 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post
Your examples are elementary enough that Iím confident labeling you a charlatan in the health field. Health actuaries arenít restricted to traditional work, and I can vouch that they have been working on this type of work for years. Results are mixed.
Normally the "etc.etc" gives it away...