Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytcs Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 06-06-2018, 12:57 PM
CAS

Studying for Jazz Piano
Favorite beer: Founders Dirty Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Actuary View Post
Dealing with sexual tension.
I have a friend that could use help with this one
Old 06-06-2018, 12:59 PM
SOA

subscribe
Old 06-06-2018, 01:01 PM
SOA

subscribe, but this is also true:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
There's a point in a career in some organizations where intimidation may help get you some of these things.

Most ELs reading this sub-forum would not benefit from trying to be intimidating. It comes across as "not being a team player" which will severely impede career progress for any noob.
TDA, you should put a warning notice for EL people on here, as some of this advice is literally dangerous for them.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:13 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Stand right behind their cubicle without saying anything, and then when they turn around and are all freaked out because you saw them browsing the web, just ask a mundane question like nothing happened imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:55 PM
SOA AAA

Next up, how to act, like a boss!
<cue Lonely Island>
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:32 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
I tried to word my serious question in a professional way, but TDA still thinks I was trying to be funny. The first part of my reply was supposed to be funny, though.
No, I don't think you were trying to be funny which is why I gave you a serious answer.
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree
Old 06-06-2018, 04:46 PM
SOA

Corporate alternative to #6: Always be late to meetings. Nothing says 'I dont have time for this petty crap' like showing up late. the key is not to be remorseful; just walk in with all the normal confidence, sit down and jump right into the conversation. Better yet, cancel/skip as many meetings as possible. I like to maintain the 'im always too busy for your crap' image. Throwing this out there since I assumed your methods work best in pension consulting (reading you post gave me flashbacks).

Its the same as the chitty rule- once again i am too busy for your crap! some of us have real work to do. Then when they leave I go back to posting on the AO or maybe the beer store is closing soon.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:50 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Corporate alternative to #6: Always be late to meetings. Nothing says 'I dont have time for this petty crap' like showing up late. the key is not to be remorseful; just walk in with all the normal confidence, sit down and jump right into the conversation. Better yet, cancel/skip as many meetings as possible. I like to maintain the 'im always too busy for your crap' image. Throwing this out there since I assumed your methods work best in pension consulting (reading you post gave me flashbacks).

Its the same as the chitty rule- once again i am too busy for your crap! some of us have real work to do. Then when they leave I go back to posting on the AO or maybe the beer store is closing soon.
I try to be as exasperated as possible when people call me unscheduled. Like I just don't have time for these petty interruptions. But you're right, I should extend that to scheduled calls as well.
Trump's biggest weakness is that he utterly lacks the knowledge, experience, interest, attention span, temperament, and common decency to be the marginally effective President of a reasonably-large HOA.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:03 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
I try to be as exasperated as possible when people call me unscheduled. Like I just don't have time for these petty interruptions. But you're right, I should extend that to scheduled calls as well.
why are you answering the phone?
Old 06-06-2018, 05:06 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
Ah yes, the George Costanza school of success.

Tags
tda gives great advise, tda gives great something