Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

View Poll Results: How many devices on your home network?
None 1 3.23%
1 0 0%
2-3 0 0%
4-6 4 12.90%
7-10 5 16.13%
11-15 10 32.26%
16-20 3 9.68%
21-25 0 0%
More than 25 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-13-2018, 09:15 AM
Non-Actuary

Default How many devices on your home network?

In addition to the obvious computers, tablets, and streaming boxes, remember to count unconventional networked devices like wifi light bulbs, surge protectors, watches, and door sensors. Bring up your router's device list page to see what you may have forgotten about.

Don't count routers, switches, wifi extenders and other such hardware which are just intermediaries for passing the data around. However you can count the router if it's also serving duty as a NAS.

If you have two or more separate networks in the same home, combine all the devices for the purpose of this poll.

EDITED to add: Count devices that are wired to the network (whether the device is currently on or off), and any wifi devices that reside in the household and still get occasional use of the network. In other words, every connectable device (except for routers/extenders and such) that has been on the network and hasn't become unused-junk-in-the-closet, not just devices that are on and connected right now.

Last edited by Incredible Hulctuary; 05-14-2018 at 08:44 AM..
Old 05-14-2018, 07:28 AM
Non-Actuary

Back in 1999, the first time I had broadband, I had "only" two computers (which was a lot back then for a single-person household). Only one was connected to the Internet; it was directly plugged into the cable modem, and I used software protection like Black Ice Defender and Zone Alarm to block hacking attempts from the outside.

A year or two later I got a wired router and ran a 50-foot ethernet cable along the perimeter of the living room to reach the secondary computer.

Now that I'm up to almost 20 devices I thought that was plenty, but I see 2 of you have already claimed more than 25. But many of you have families of 3 or more, whereas I live alone.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:08 AM
CAS

Devices go on and off my network all the time. Cellphones, laptops, gaming devices that are usually off. Right now? Maybe 8?
Old 05-14-2018, 08:09 AM
CAS

Eh, I forgot about a couple of oddball devices, like the Alexa I never use.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:33 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
Devices go on and off my network all the time. Cellphones, laptops, gaming devices that are usually off. Right now? Maybe 8?
Count anything that's wired to the network (whether it's currently on or off), and any wifi devices that reside in the household and still get occasional use of the network. In other words, not just devices that are currently on and connected.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:56 AM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
Now that I'm up to almost 20 devices I thought that was plenty, but I see 2 of you have already claimed more than 25. But many of you have families of 3 or more, whereas I live alone.
Expanding the poll options could be interesting. My quick count came up with 34, but I could easily see it being 40+; and I don't have kids old enough to have phones/tablets themselves. I also don't have wifi lightbulbs/sensors as I use Zwave/ZigBee stuff for that. A lot of Homekit devices are Wifi, so someone leaning heavily into that could be approaching 100.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:03 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
Count anything that's wired to the network (whether it's currently on or off), and any wifi devices that reside in the household and still get occasional use of the network. In other words, not just devices that are currently on and connected.
So, clearly I should count my husband's desk-top, the Alexa, the Wii, and the Roku. But do you want me to count the cell phones that "live" at the house? Our laptops? Our work laptops that are often used at home? The Kindle that occasionally logs on to download new content? The obsolete kindle that might theoretically log in some day? The tablet that I haven't used in a couple of years, but haven't actually replaced? The old cell phone I keep around as a back-up? The gaming system my son sometimes brings over to use with us?

I've mostly avoided the whole "connected home" thing, but there are an awful lot of devices that use the WiFi.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:18 AM
CAS

Studying for nothing at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks1839 View Post
Expanding the poll options could be interesting. My quick count came up with 34, but I could easily see it being 40+; and I don't have kids old enough to have phones/tablets themselves. I also don't have wifi lightbulbs/sensors as I use Zwave/ZigBee stuff for that. A lot of Homekit devices are Wifi, so someone leaning heavily into that could be approaching 100.

I stopped counting at 25, and there was still more left.

Bourbon(16)
Pappy Van Winkle-Family Reserve 15yr & lot "B" 12yr
Baker's 7yr
Blanton's
Knob Creek - 9yr
Basil Hayden
Maker's Mark - 46 & Cask Strength
Woodford Reserve
Jack Daniel's-Gentleman Jack, Single Barrel & Old #7
Four Roses Small Batch
Noah's Mill
Kirkland Bourbon - 7yr

Rye(6)
Angle Envy's - Finished Rye
Ravenswood Rye
Bulleit
High West - Double Rye
Whistle Pig - 10 yr
Old Overholt

Scotch(4)
Glenfiddich - The Distiller's Edition
Tomatin 12yr
The Dimple Pinch - 15 yr
Dewar's White Label

Irish(6)

Middleton Very Rare
Redbreast 12yr
Bushmill - Single Malt 16 yr
Connemarai
Jameson - Caskmates Stout and Regular
Old 05-14-2018, 10:32 AM
SOA

I see 15 currently connected and another 13 disconnected but some of those look like devices I no longer own.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:48 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
So, clearly I should count my husband's desk-top, the Alexa, the Wii, and the Roku. But do you want me to count the cell phones that "live" at the house? Our laptops? Our work laptops that are often used at home? The Kindle that occasionally logs on to download new content? The obsolete kindle that might theoretically log in some day? The tablet that I haven't used in a couple of years, but haven't actually replaced? The old cell phone I keep around as a back-up? The gaming system my son sometimes brings over to use with us?
Count cell phones if they sometimes use the home wiFi instead of their own data plan. Count the Kindle that still connects occasionally, but not the obsolete one that hasn't connected in recent months. Count work computers if their primary resting place at night and weekends is your house, and if they make use of your home network when they need connectivity to the office or elsewhere on the Internet.

Definitely count your personal laptops, but not whatever your son brings over which primarily "lives" at his home.