Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pension.Mathematics View Post
no one in their right mind would go out of their way to get IFoA recognition if they don't need to work in the UK. it is not difficult to see that these people ultimately wanted SOA recognition, they just abused IFoA's system to get their ASA.

I am surprised that you don't think this is a loophole.
I'm saying that it's a loophole only if the SOA didn't know about it and was not ok with it.

Obviously, the intent here is to get ASA, not IFoA. My guess is that there is no mutual recognition between the SOA and CIA because, up until very recently at least, they've had almost the exact same exam requirements - to get FCIA you needed everything needed to get FSA, plus an additional course/exam at the end. Now that's no longer the case (UAP and you cannot become an FCIA unless you've written the cdn version of the FSA exams), so the 'loophole' is gone.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pension.Mathematics View Post
nope, this person likely never did any UK exams.

In fact, I know 2~3 people who got their ASA this way (i.e., only took 1 prelim exam which is exam P at the end of 2014/beginning of 2015) and are all now either FSA or extremely close to being FSA.

their names don't show up at http://www.actuarial-lookup.co.uk/ at all.

https://www.soa.org/Education/Genera...r-faculty.aspx
Quote:
Generally, all Institute and Faculty (IFoA) courses should have been acquired by passing the examinations. However, IFoA exemptions for Subjects CT1-CT8 are acceptable provided that the exemptions were acquired through an accredited IFoA university program.
It's not a loophole if SOA actually acknowledges it on its own website.