Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 03-03-2015, 10:06 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

No one is worse than the footing shooting idiots at the media companies. Pirates will be able to watch pirated stuff while people who just bought a nice TV to enjoy some nice 4k movies on will be shitoutofluck.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:18 AM

How can you tell if a TV has this? I'm reading the specs for Samsung tv's and it's not mentioned at all.

So the 725p curved model only has hdmi 1.4. The 8700 and 8550 have 2.0. Curved vs flat = same price.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:02 AM

Just bought a new (1080p) TV. While my old TV was also 1080p, the new one is clearly better for other reasons. Deeper blacks, etc.

Honestly what I notice (or don't notice) the most is the thin bezel though. My last Tv was purchased in like 2010 or something and had a thick bezel. When watching the old TV, I am cognizant of the television itself. When watching the new one, I'm only focused on what is on screen.

Anyway I think I came up with a use case for 4K this weekend: Mario Kart. If you played Mario Kart on a device outputting a 4K signal to a 4K TV, all four players would get their own little 1080p screen! We're at least a console generation away from that though.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:49 AM
SOA

It's been over 2 years ... so how about now?

Folks on slickdeals.net mention getting the 65" LG B7 from Beach Camera for $2349. This is the top-rated TV on rtings.com at the moment (well, actually the C7 is, but there are only cosmetic and minor sound differences between the two models.)

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7-oled
Old 09-02-2017, 06:15 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
I'm waiting for 4K OLED (to reach under $1200). I see there is already one 4K OLED on the market, for $10,000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
It's been over 2 years ... so how about now?

Folks on slickdeals.net mention getting the 65" LG B7 from Beach Camera for $2349. This is the top-rated TV on rtings.com at the moment (well, actually the C7 is, but there are only cosmetic and minor sound differences between the two models.)

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7-oled
4K OLED for under $2500. Nice. Not my price range yet, but it's getting closer and closer.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:00 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
4K OLED for under $2500. Nice. Not my price range yet, but it's getting closer and closer.
One can get a 55" for under $2k. Fun to watch how quickly these drop.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:27 PM
SOA

Wow, only one response. I take it very few here have jumped on the 4K bandwagon? Or OLED, for that matter?
Old 09-05-2017, 06:32 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Wow, only one response. I take it very few here have jumped on the 4K bandwagon? Or OLED, for that matter?
I'm an audiophile, not a videophile! We got a 4k a couple of years ago, I find 4k to be over-rated, it's just not a huge improvement, imo. Unless you get a huge screen and watch it from a few feet away. But I think most of the current TVs are 4k, so you're probably getting it whether you want it or not.

I don't know much about OLED, last time I bought a TV I think there were just a few out and they were $$$.

One thing for 4k: you'll need HDCP 2.2 compatible HDMI inputs/outputs. Yours is pretty new and probably has it, but you should check that box.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:22 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
More important than 4K is HDR, but with either the lack of available content is still the problem. Some of the streaming services have some content, but not much. Broadcast/cable content is basically nada, and it'll be tough for the cable pipes to find the bandwidth room. They already compress HD too much. You could go the UHD Bluray route, but the movies are pricey. Unless you have a nice sound setup (like Dolby Atmos), I don't think they're worth the extra cost.

OLED on the other hand is pretty amazing! They do have some of the same issues as plasma with them getting dimmer over time, so I'd wait a couple more years. You could say that about any technology though.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:39 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks1839 View Post
Unless you have a nice sound setup (like Dolby Atmos), I don't think they're worth the extra cost.
I bought a new receiver just a few months ago, and it's Atmos ready.

Quote:
OLED on the other hand is pretty amazing! They do have some of the same issues as plasma with them getting dimmer over time, so I'd wait a couple more years. You could say that about any technology though.
I used to have a plasma, but it was 720p and it generated a LOT of heat, enough so that my A/C couldn't keep up in that room. So I gave it to my in-laws ... and I'm jealous every time I see it at their house. Yes, my LCD sets have 1080p, but the contrast on that plasma set was really nice.

So now the OLED seems like a way to get that plasma-like look again, but without the crazy heat of plasma. And now with 4K and HDR, seems like a pretty good improvement over plasma's picture.

Is the dimming much of a problem? My in-law's plasma doesn't show any evidence of dimming yet. On OLED, I heard the dimming was really a problem with the greens, and specifically on the Samsung OLEDs, which are no longer in production. But I could be wrong, as I haven't done a ton of research.