Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!


Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #751  
Old 01-23-2017, 01:07 PM
STL_Kyle STL_Kyle is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Studying for MLC
College: Truman State University Alumni
Posts: 25
Default

Got a 9! Pretty (pleasantly) surprised because I thought my exam was pretty difficult. In fact about halfway through I felt like there was a decent chance I'd fail. Really I'm just happy I passed but I might add the 9 score to my resume.
Reply With Quote
  #752  
Old 01-23-2017, 01:37 PM
YetAnotherCareerChanger YetAnotherCareerChanger is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL_Kyle View Post
Got a 9! Pretty (pleasantly) surprised because I thought my exam was pretty difficult. In fact about halfway through I felt like there was a decent chance I'd fail. Really I'm just happy I passed but I might add the 9 score to my resume.
I wouldn't add scores to my resume. You passed, it really doesn't matter in the long run what score you passed with imo.
Reply With Quote
  #753  
Old 01-23-2017, 02:17 PM
chlwldus2000 chlwldus2000 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 31
Default

Got an 8 and I'm pretty happy with it. I thought I barely passed. It's also the highest score I got out of the 3 prelims.
Reply With Quote
  #754  
Old 01-23-2017, 05:07 PM
dkamka's Avatar
dkamka dkamka is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Schaumburg
Studying for SRM/Predictive Analytics
College: Roosevelt University Alumnus '10
Favorite beer: Jawa Juice
Posts: 475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherCareerChanger View Post
I wouldn't add scores to my resume. You passed, it really doesn't matter in the long run what score you passed with imo.
It's funny you say that because last conversation i had with a DW Simpson recruiter i was asked that and more!

Q1: how many attempts for each exam?
Q2: what score on each exam?

__________________
Introductory I: Economics | Accounting & FinanceFM | P
Introductory II: IFM | Mathematical Statistics
Actuarial: LTAM | STAM | SRM
Advanced:FAP, PA
Seminar: APC
Reply With Quote
  #755  
Old 01-25-2017, 07:30 PM
ReturnStudent ReturnStudent is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Studying for PA
College: UNL Alumni
Posts: 190
Default

Does anyone know how I can get MFE credit for CAS 3F? Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #756  
Old 01-26-2017, 10:11 AM
mathlete824 mathlete824 is offline
CAS
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnStudent View Post
Does anyone know how I can get MFE credit for CAS 3F? Thanks
You can check to see if you have received credit on this site:
http://www.casact.org/admissions/index.cfm?fa=exstatus

With the SOA CBT exams, I believe that when you register, there is a box or survey question that you can check that says CAS or Casualty. If you did not check it, then SOA will not communicate that you passed to CAS. In this case, you need to fill out an "Exam Status Changes Form", also found at the link above. The instructions are pretty easy.
__________________
1/P | 2/FM | 3F/MFE | 4/C | 3L/LC and ST/S/MAS I/Whatever | 5 | 6
VEE: Micro | Macro | Finance
Online 1 | Online 2 | Course on Professionalism
Reply With Quote
  #757  
Old 01-26-2017, 01:04 PM
gaudettj's Avatar
gaudettj gaudettj is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Canada
Favorite beer: wild ale
Posts: 221
Default

Scored 5 yet again... Safe to say I've mastered the art of nearly passing.
__________________
________________________
P(8) FM(7) MFE(7) SRM(transfer) LTAM VEE's | JOB ACTUARIAL JOB
Reply With Quote
  #758  
Old 01-27-2017, 02:05 PM
Cavaliere Cavaliere is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamka View Post
It's funny you say that because last conversation i had with a DW Simpson recruiter i was asked that and more!

Q1: how many attempts for each exam?
Q2: what score on each exam?

Same with me when I talked a couple months ago. They asked how many tries it took me to pass each exam, and the grades I received on them. They seemed impressed and suggested putting them on my resume. I didn't do that because I thought it was a little weird and unnecessary. Who knows, they might know something I don't?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaudettj View Post
Scored 5 yet again... Safe to say I've mastered the art of nearly passing.
Just means you're almost there, only 1 or 2 more correct answers could literally be the difference. You also might be getting unlucky getting the pilots all right, and getting the non-pilots wrong. As a famous fish says: Just keep swimming.
Reply With Quote
  #759  
Old 06-24-2017, 09:25 PM
bujayherster bujayherster is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southbury, CT
Studying for MFE
College: Union Collge Alumnus
Posts: 64
Default

Honestly, I have gone through the first 12 chapters probably 5 times or more as I decide to focus and study .... but then I lose focus and more important things come up and my studies end....then I start over .... again and again and again.

I do the problems at the end of the chapters but I am intimidated for the exotic options a bit and I am always feeling a bit aaturated by the time I make it to chapter 13....
__________________
1/P | 2/FM | 3F/MFE | 4/C | S | FAP | VEE-Economics | VEE-Corporate Finance | ERM Module | ERM Exam | APC | CFA | FRM |
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.22398 seconds with 12 queries